357 barrel length?

5whiskey

If you had to choose between a 16 or 20 inch 357, which would you choose? I have a fairly large frame, so I'm not worried about the 16" being "handy" or anything. I'm worried more about efficiency? Does the round lose anything out of a 20" barrel, or is it still picking up steam past 16?

According to this website you're not losing much if anything going with the 16" barrel

withhttp://ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

I've got a marlin in 357 and one in 44 magnum both with a 16 and a Quarter inch barrel and they both shoot great. between me and my wife we've shoot deer with both off them. Nice little brush guns in the woods.

There is no round that "loses" anything from a longer barrel. I don't believe there is anything that burns 100% of its powder even in the longest common barrels.

What happens is that the rate of velocity increase, per inch of barrel slows down. But they are all still gaining speed until they leave the muzzle.

So it really becomes a decision about if the slightly higher velocity is both useful, and if it overcomes any drawbacks due to the added length and weight of the longer barrel.

And that, is a personal decision, based on your own situation.

A quick look to me indicated the 357 does lose with added length over 16 inches. My theory is the round develops full potential at 16 inches but then the added length beyond that is probably just added drag.

I'm curious where you looked that showed that the .357 actually slowed down after passing 16" in the barrel.....

I've never seen that with any round. Now, some might only gain another 50fps (or even less, possibly) with another 2-6inches of barrel, but it is still a gain. I would be really interested in seeing valid data showing a bullet actually slowing down due to a longer barrel...

Sure, there is drag, but all I have ever seen in nearly 50 years of looking at these things is data that shows a reduction in the rate of velocity increase. If there is new data out there, showing an actual decrease, I'd love to see it.

And don't confuse a lower muzzle velocity from a longer barrel with a decrease in bullet speed due to a longer barrel, as there are other factors than just length that affect velocity. An extreme case, but I have seen a 4" revolver shoot "faster" than an 8" one. Not because the longer barrel slowed down the bullet due to its length, but because the specific barrels tested were "slow" and "fast" beacuse of bullet/bore fit in those individual barrels.

The only way I can see to proove a longer barrel "slowed down" the bullet due to drag (and discount any additional factors) would be to take a long barrel, clock bullet speed, and then start cutting it back, firing the same ammo, until you found a length where the velocity was actually higher than the MV at the start. Personally, I doubt that will occur.

If you are looking for a home defense carbine, I'd get the trapper size (16-inch), as it will maneuver indoors better and swing faster. If you are looking for something for field/range use I'd get the short rifle (20-inch) size.

The .357 Magnum is still accelerating when it leaves the 20-inch. The hotter the loads are, and the lighter the bullets are, the more advantage you get versus your ordinary service revolver barrel. Velocity can be 50% more and energy more than doubles.

From a practical standpoint the length of barrel (16 vs 20) makes no difference as to the effectiveness of the round.

The fit and point ability of the rifle should be the primary consideration. Which barrel length fits you the best. Try the different lengths and select the one which feels best for you.

Something else to consider....

Ammo selection, and intended use. Factory .357 125gr JHPs are optimised for handgun length barrels (and velocities). Fired out of a rifle/carbine at as much as 50% higher speed and they do not perform like they do fired from a pistol. They expand violently (almost explosively) because they are going much faster than designed for.

Because of this, they do not penetrate as well as they do at lower speeds. USUALLY they create a massive surface wound, and do not penetrate much in game, such as deer. For better results on game, use the heavier 158gr. They are still going faster than designed for out of a carbine, but tend to retain their penetration better than the light JHPs.

Or use a hard cast lead SWC (if your rifle feeds them well, not all do).

For personal defense, I can't say with certainty but I would expect either the lighter or heavier bullets out of the carbine would ....make an impression.

You might even consider alternating the load in the magazine, I feel confident that if one doesn't work well, the other one will....

I do know that 22 LR will slow down in a 18" 10/22 barrel and I got higher velocities in a 10" barrel. This is not the discussed 38 round, but is a modicum of proof that it does (or can) happen.

I have never done this comparison testing with any 38's but my feeling is that since 38s typically have small charges that one probably would have some slowing down in the 20" vs the 16" barrel. Testing with a Chrony would prove this for sure. I would for sure use a slower powder for these loads to give it a chance. 357s would probably not slow down in the longer barrel.

I may be wrong, the 38s may not slow in the longer barrel. But compared to your typical 38s which shoot the Special rounds (2" to 6")...16" is a lot of extra barrel to work with. I would get the 16" and feel good about it. It'll be quieter and faster. Win-win.

Back