357/44 Bobcat Magnum

Prostreet

Inactive
A long time ago, I sent my other cylinder (9 mm) to California to have the cylinder bored to .44 Mag. The gun is a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible. It comes with the 357/38 cylinder and a 9 mm cylinder. It's a bottleneck cartridge that shoots .357 slugs driven by .44 Mag. casing. Works pretty sweet. The only problem now that's it is a dinosaur. The loaded round uses a plastic type sleeve to fit over the bottleneck to make the casing of the .44 straight. My BIG problem is the sleeves usually are used only one (1) time. I still have a handful left. Kinda saving them. Does anyone know of anyone that has any or manufacturers them.
Any and all help will be appreciated.
Thank you all in advance....
Jerome.:)

357/44 mag

Is this cartridge anything like the old Bain Davis? See below.

357-44 BAIN & DAVIS

BULLET DIAMETER:
. . . . . . . . .
0.357"
MAXIMUM C.O.L.:
. . . . . . . . . .
1.580"
MAX. CASE LENGTH:
. . . . . . . .
1.280"
CASE TRIM LENGTH:
. . . . . . . .
1.270"
The 357-44 B&D is a 44 Magnum case necked down to hold 38 caliber (.357"
diameter) bullets. Its origin dates to about 1964, and the intention of its developers appears to have been obtaining higher velocities out of 38 caliber revolvers.
The means was rebuilding 44 Magnum revolvers with the smaller bore. While gunsmithing was required to make this conversion, case development was a snap.
357-44 B&D cases were easily formed, with no trimming necessary, and required only two reloading dies: a full length resizing die along with a seating die.

Sadly, I think your best bet would be to attempt to make your own collars...

Reading about this wildcat over the years has shown me that many people have successfully done just that...

Suggestions range from PVC tubing cut and shaped, lathe turning and boring them from polymer rod, small CNC machines, and even one suggestion that I remember about 3-D printing them...

As I read the post, this is a .44 Mag cylinder in a gun with a .357 barrel.
This, if it will actually chamber a .44 mag/Spl, sounds like a lawyer's dream (or nightmare, depending on whether he's representing the plaintiff or the defendant).

Yes, but the system was devised about 40 years ago when it was reasonably assumed that a wildcatter knew what he was doing.

Obviously Prostreet does. We are not saying what would happen should he sell the gun to an uninformed enthusiast.

There was another version that did not bottleneck the case. It used an internal sleeve .44 to .357. When fired in an unaltered .44 cylinder behind a .357 barrel, the sleeve slammed against the breech of the .357 barrel and launched the bullet with a pretty good gas seal.

Could brass collars can be used and re-used, instead of single use plastic collars?

A machine shop with a CNC lathe could whip up a lifetime supply in no time.

Back