350 Legend in a lever action: any time soon?

Elliottsdad

Living in a straight-walled cartridge only state, I was interested in the 350 Legend cartridge when it was first announced. Longer range performance, lighter recoil, specifically designed for these types of hunting laws: what's not to like?
However, it's currently only available in few bolt actions. I think a lever action in 350 Legend would be pretty damn sweet. I know there are a few members "in the know" on this forum. Is there any info or rumors about any companies developing a lever action rifle in this cartridge?
Would any other shooters out there jump on a 350 lever action? Why/why not?
Thanks!

Do these "straight wall" states allow semi-autos?
Why not get in in the gun it belongs in. The AR15 Modern Sporting Rifle platform.

Generally speaking straight wall RIMLESS rounds don't do well in traditional lever action designs.

Don't know of anyone making a lever gun in that caliber, or planning to, but if there is enough demand, someone will. Until then, it is what it is.

That ammo has a pretty pointy bullet profile not really suitable for traditional lever actions. It could be loaded with flat point bullets, but most of the early loads are not. I doubt any manufacturer would take the liability risk of someone using pointed bullets in a tube magazine.

The .350 doesn't do anything currently chambered cartridges will not.
"...pointy bullet profile..." That'd change to an FTX if there was a need/market. Too new otherwise.

The .350 doesn't do anything currently chambered cartridges will not.
"...pointy bullet profile..." That'd change to an FTX if there was a need/market. Too new otherwise.
All it does is fill a niche created by law makers.
Most rifle purchases are about want and not need. I know most of mine are.

Generally speaking straight wall RIMLESS rounds don't do well in traditional lever action designs.

Don't know of anyone making a lever gun in that caliber, or planning to, but if there is enough demand, someone will. Until then, it is what it is.

I agree. One concern is the straight-wall rimless cartridge must headspace somehow. Rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim. Rimless cartridges must either headspace on a belt, the shoulder of the neck, or the mouth of the rim. The 350 Legend does not have a belt or shoulder, so it must headspace on the mouth of the rim. This is also true for 450 Bushmaster for example. It's not terribly unusual. Indeed most semi-auto pistol cartridges do this. But this means the case mouth cannot be roll crimped. It can at most be taper crimped to hold the bullet with neck tension. This is not favorable in a tubular magazine where bullet set-back can occur when the cartridge in front pushes the bullet deeper into the case.

I'm sure rimless cases in a tubular magazine can be made to work, but it's not ideal. For a lever gun, a rimmed cartridge like the 357 Maximum is ideal for straightwall. For an autoloader like the AR-15, a rimless cartridge is ideal for straightwall. For bolt-actions, a belted case would be ideal for straightwall. I would also choose a belted case as a compromise to work well in all action types for straightwall cases.

Back