35 Remington

ThomasT

Does this seem like a decent price on this rifle. I have wanted a 35 Remington for many years but the lack of ammo, brass and bullets has been the hold up.

There is a guy on castboolits that is making brass from 308 brass now so getting brass shouldn't be a problem. And I checked a while back and 200gr bullets were back in stock. So what do you folks think. This is shown to be made in 1957 but still has the Micro Groove rifling which is OK by me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/616214071

So far I am the high bidder but wonder what a top dollar would be for this gun. Thanks.

It seems reasonable for a nice rifle. My son was given a mid 60s vintage Marlin 336 in 35 rem from a family member. I like it alot and it compliments my Gamemaster in the same caliber.

Micro rifling is half the depth of standard .It works fine for jacketed . for cast you have to be precise with diameter and hardness otherwise it won't be accurate.
In the east the 35 Rem is a classic for deer and black bear, works well !:)

Yep its the pre safety. The safety has never bothered me though. But I do like how it looks without it.

Just checked Midway. The 200gr bullets from Sierra and Hornady in stock along with 180gr from Speer. They had the rubber tipped bullets but I don't care for those.

35 Remington is why I'm considering reloading. I have a 35 remington Gamemaster in its 3rd generation of my family and my son was gifted the aforementioned Marlin which by shear chance allows us to hunt side by side with the same caliber. The ammunition is commercially available around me, but it's almost seasonal and hard to find outside of hunting season. Hornady lever evolution is the most readily available. I'm slowly building a brass stash.

Even with shipping and all that sounds like a reasonable price for the condition. Pre-safety and in 35 Remington are pluses.

As is the situation for a lot of less than popular cartridges, buy extra when the opportunity presents itself. In some cases (no pun intended :)), buy lots extra.

Hornady Leverevolution has taken away the scarceness of 35 rem ammo.

At $21-23 a box its much better pricing than it was 6-8 years ago.

I like the cartridge. Just bought a CVA chambered in it to go with the 336.

That's a Texan style carbine.

attachment.php

Mine is in 30/30.

And $400 around bouts is not a bad price, especially in the rarer .35 Remington chambering.

Deaf

Not a Texan.
It's an RC.
Similar appearance (or sometimes identical, if comparing different decades); but the RC had a rounded straight lever while the Texans of the same year ('57) had a square lever.

The current price is decent; but I suspect that auction will close near $600 -- possibly more. I would not be surprised, at all, if that rifle hit $800.
Good condition, classic Marlins in .35 Remington have been climbing in price and Gunbroker just inflates prices even more.
That one is fair condition with some good bluing and wood, overall, and the only real issue is the metal pitting.
It's a pretty decent rifle, and the closing price will reflect such.

Edit: Forgot to add that, as mentioned by others, it does have some of the more desirable features, as well. The straight grip, in particular, brings up the value. And the front sight arrangement (sight behind barrel band) is also something that a lot of guys look for - even though it's related more to year of production than specific model lines.

--

Last year, I thought I might finally be able to snag a beater .35 Remington 336 to fix up, after finding a rusty hunk of garbage, with a broken butt stock, seized action, mutilated barrel bands, bent lever, and no sights, on GB. In the last 6 hours of the auction, it went from $180 to $390! :eek:

Last edited:
There is a guy on castboolits that is making brass from 308 brass now

#1) why??? Midway shows .35 Rem brass available. $31.50 for 50. Not cheap, but nothing is these days..

#2) you don't make .35 Rem from .308 Win, you make .358 Win from .308 Win.

OK, You CAN make .35 Rem from .308, but in order to work, your rifle needs to be a little sloppy in the chamber, OR you need to turn down the head & rim of the ..308 case. Since .35 Rem is available, I don't know why anyone would bother to make it...

.308 Win
case head .4703" rim .473"

.35 Rem
case head .4574" rim .460"

After my uncle fell on his .30-30 and broke the stock off, he replaced it with a .35 Rem, and it anchored a nice 6 point Adirondack buck quite handily.

The .35 Rem doesn't look all that impressive on paper, but in the game fields, it performs way out of proportion to the paper ballistics.

Ratshooter,
Ammoseek has Hornady and Winchester for under $24.00 a box(without shipping):(
They also list 35 Rem brass (new Hornady) for $28.00 per 50. I bet the shipping on brass is much more reasonable than load ammo. Good luck!

I'm not even a huge fan of 35 Rem, but I'd have already bought that rifle at that price. I'd be afraid posting it here and asking for advice would just advertise it and have someone else get it.

From a practical perspective I like other rifles and calibers much better, but I've always liked Marlins, especially the straight gripped Texan models. I think the 35 caliber is somewhat over rated, no better than 30-30, but cool and different none the less.

The PGCA show I attended about three weeks ago in Butler, PA, had far fewer lever actions in general, than years past. Granted, it was Sunday morning, versus Saturday opening day.

I left with a Model 336 in .35 Remington, 1979 vintage, for $540 out the door. The dealer had it list for $575. If you watch GunBroker, it seems average pricing for the pistol grip model like mine are now in the $600 range, plus shipping and transfer fees.

I saw one other 336 I considered, but passed it by. Price was a bit less (dealer listed $495), but it was pretty rough with scratches/gouges and what looked like extra tapped holes on the reciever. Also, it was a cross bolt safety.

Thanks everybody. 44 Amp that is the first time in a very long time 35 remington brass has been available. And its only one brand in stock. But its good brass. Academy had two boxes of 35 remington 200gr loads on the shelf yesterday. Its was $28 a box. If I were relying on factory loads that might be a deal killer.

I am not too worried about factory ammo. I will reload for the 35 remington just like I reload for everything else I shoot except for 25acp. I just don't shoot it enough to worry about reloading for it. Plus I have 450 rounds on hand. A lifetime supply.

I like the straight stock on the gun. My 32, 357 and 44 mags are all straight stocked and I like the way they feel in my hands.

I have wanted a 35 remington for a long time. A buddy offered me his but at the time there were no bullets of brass available and no factory ammo either. That was about 3 years ago and the lack of supplies is what kept me from buying it. I don't think he wants to sell it now.

Last fall I looked at a 35 in a Cabelas store. Nice clean Pre model w/a Price Tag of 650.00. I walked away thinking the 35s price tag was outrageous. Went back the next day with my check book in hand. It was sold to some other fellow just prior to my arrival.

So apparently the 35s are gaining in price quicker than its other cartridge offerings.

Back