35 rem reloading question

jdcujo

I've seen some recipes with using bullets designed for 357 mag for plinking. Only issues I've encountered is feeding issues from the mag tube ( marlin 336 ). Encountered the same when trying to use cast 358 sized 190 grain bullets. Can get it to run one or occasionally the second but consistent feeding with them hasn't been successful so far.

A 350 Remington minimum SAAMI COL for the 350 Rem is 0.56 inches longer than the case. The maximum COL for the 357 Magnum is only 0.30 inches longer than its case. This means that if you crimp a 357 Magnum bullet at its crimp cannelure in a 350 Rem case, it will be 0.26" shorter than the SAAMI minimum COL. This may allow the base of the next cartridge in the chamber to start into the carrier and jam lifting the cartridge. If that does not happen, then when the cartridge enters the chamber, the bullet is being asked to start turning the cartridge into the mouth of the chamber 0.26" too late which can put the cartridge at too steep and entry angle into the chamber to make it feed well.

In your shoes, I would get some longer .357 bullets and seat them out to the 350 Rem minimum COL and crimp them with a Lee Factory Crimp Die, which forms its own indentation in the bullet, rather than relying on the crimp grooves or cannelures already in them. Unfortunately, as bullet nose form also plays a role, I can't guarantee this will work. It is just what I would try next in your shoes.

Consider that the loads for pistol bullets are intended for plinking or small game hunting and often only do well when single loaded.

As Uncle Nick noted, they are shorter than what the rifle wants to feed. Marlin lever guns are not very tolerant of too short or too long. Also they aren't very SWC friendly when it comes to feeding.

This doesn't mean such things can't be used, only that there may be issues, and "work arounds" may be needed. The simplest is, if it won't feed from the tube just single load it.

Might not be the solution you want, but it does work.

Back