35 caliber slr

bcon415

Hi,
I am looking for information on the Winchester rifle, self loading model 1905. Does any one know anything about this rifle? Ammo, parts?
Thank you.
Brad

More info in another post

I found another post with some more info that I could not find earlier: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45272
I am also listing more info found on the barrel and trigger guard.

Manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. New Haven Conn USA
Self Loading Model 1905 Patentf Aug 27, Dec 10, 1903, Feb 25 1902, Feb 17, Dec 22 1903

14515 on side and trigger guard.

Parts can be tough to come by, but they generally are available. Try Gun Parts Corporation.

Ammo is another matter. It can be virtually impossible to find shooting quantities of .35 WSLR. It didn't last very long, as it was seen as too expensive and too under powered for just about anything.

Ammo was produced up through the 1930s, but was, I think, dropped in the run up to World War II and not restarted.

need clip and ammo

My mother threw away the clip to this rifle, so I am limited to single shots, but even single shots are difficult w/o ammo. Does anyone know where Ammo can be purchased?
Thanks.

If you have access to a lathe, .35 SL can be made from .357 Magnum brass. The case has to be trimmed to 1.15" with a case trimmer, then the lathe used to reduce the rim to .405" and cut the extractor groove. It is something of a PITA, but I once did 50 and after a while it is sort of automatic. Took about three hours, as I recall, once I got set up.

The bullet is .351" diameter, but I used lead .355" (9mm) bullets and they worked OK. I loaded them using .38 Special dies, but you have to be careful with the shell holder since the rim is smaller than the .38 Special.

Jim

Last edited:
.35wsl

I have a mod 1905 in .32wsl and the best price for .32wsl was buffalo arms. If your into reloading they also sell dies and components for all the wsl cal. Good luck on the mag. they are hard to find and expensive. I found two mags and 30 rounds for $100 through a friend of a friend who knew somebody else.

I keep forgetting about Buffalo Arms; showing my age, I guess.

I was sort of interested in their .35 S&W until I took a look at the price, $92 for a box of 50. Of course that is less than collector price, but I will have to think about it.

Jim

FWIW, the .32 WSL was the basis for the .30 Carbine. The first carbine cartridges were made with modified .32 WSL dies and had the .32 WSL headstamp.

Jim

35 SLR Rifle Mag and Ammo

Greetings, I just happen to have a extra magazine for the 1905 SLR along with approximately 50 rounds of original ammo. My Great Uncle brought his SLR back from the war and has been in the family for many years. I sold the rifle a few years back to a friend however I still have an original magazine and ammo. you can contact me at devildog669@zipnet.us if interested. Thanks rod

Back