338 RUM -> 338 Edge

Has anyone rechambered a 338 RUM to 338 Edge?

Comparing the Saami chamber dimensions it appears that there is enough material to use a 338-300 Ultra (338 Edge) reamer and cut the chamber roughly .091" deeper.

Anyone have any experience with doing this? If it helps this is a factory Remington 700 BDL.

Thanks

Hi. The .338 Edge is simply a .300 Ultra Mag necked up to .338” that is slightly longer than a .338 RUM. Apparently it needs a long, magnum, action. Don't really see any great advantage to the Edge, but it'd just be a ream job. 91 thou isn't a lot.
However, brass is pricey. .338 Edge brass runs $300 per 100. The RUM is out of stock most places. Availability of brass/ammo is always the first consideration.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/338-edge-1.php

I have found that 300 RUM brass is SLIGHTLY easier to find than 338 RUM brass. I can make 338 RUM brass out of 300 RUM, which I will do for now, but in the future I may opt to get a little more performance for the work.

And, yes there is the issue that some 300 grain bullets will not fit in the magazine, but even my 250 grain 338 RUM loads barely fit, any heavier of a bullet will not stay under the 3.680 OAL to fit in the mag.

Thanks!

Yes, the 338 Edge reamer will clean up the 338 Rum chamber.

The magazine issue is real. There is no detachable magazine that will accept the Edge (3.960" OAL). Wyatt's Outdoors sells the metal for the internal magazine, but that makes the rifle a 2-shot rifle. Seekins has said they are going to produce their longer bottom metal this summer, call them to let them know there is demand for it.

Back