338 Lapua Long Distance Ballistics!!

Great video, surprised how easy it is to spot the vapor trail (especially in the 1000 yard solid copper).

Awesome, it's clear the all copper bullets penetrated better apart from having WAY better weight retention.

Honestly, I always thought 'Cutting edge bullets' was a gimmicky name, but they have some really cool products. I have been interested in their 'Raptor' bullets for SD purposes. They also have a 130 grain .277 cal bullet with the extremely impressive BC of .540 G1. Compare that to berger's 130 grain VLD's at .452 and .497 G1

The weight retention is the reason they penetrate so well. Normally as a hunting bullet you drop way down to a lighter bullet. A .30 caliber 130 gr copper bullet at 3100 fps gives about the same expansion and penetration as a 30 caliber 180 gr lead bullet at 3100 fps.

f course I was being sarcastic, the folks that know me here, know I don't take much too seriously, sorry for the confusion. they are pretty amazing.

in a hunting round for medium-large game, wouldn't you actually prefer the deformation of the lead over the copper though? I don't hunt, so this might just be a silly newb comment

I agree, skizzums. That solid copper might be good for armor penetration, and looks to be excellent for accuracy. Not many elk hide behind cinderblock walls. :D

I hunt pigs up in Central California where non-lead ammo is required. The guides don't particularly like them because the solid copper bullets tend to punch holes clear through the hogs. But lately, we have been using Barnes TSX .308 168gr bullets with good results. Shots were between 100-200 yards with good expansion, weight retention and not passing through the animal.

man that hits hard at long range, doesn't it?

It was the result of developing a round that could penetrate five layers of body armor at 1000 M. You bet :eek: Necked-down .416 Rigby...

My sons are begging for a new long range toy (hell, I'm happy with the .260's and 7-08) and this is on the short list, but given that we have a max of 1000 yards available, and the .300 WM is so much cheaper to shoot.

I would have liked to see the comparison done with ballistic gel, though getting a clean hit at that range would take a sizable block.

I don't hunt, but seems the solids would be a disadvantage at shorter ranges, because they wouldn't expand as well and likely just pass through?

Back