338-06 on a 700 action

Bill Daniel

Based on a TFL recommendation I have contacted Coleman Rifles about a custom 338-06. They will build the rifle on a Remington 700 action if I provide the action. My plan is to buy the Remington 700 in a 30-06 or 270 and send it to them for the project. Where might I pick up the least expensive rifle? Pawn shop? On line? and what action ADL, CDL, BDL would be best to build on? This will be an all weather hunting rifle.
Thanks,
Bill Daniel

I bought my SPS Varmint for $489 including the scope and that's a BDL. The bigger the reseller the cheaper your action is likely to be (well, rifle). Sell the stuff you don't use if you wish - help get you some coin to make reloads... I assume you're going to reload. One thing you do need to know is how much / what kind of finish you want. Helps if the action's close to that when you buy it.

I also would not be afraid to look at used. MOST (not all!) hunting arms are shot very little / low round count. I don't know many shot-out 700 actions and i you're going to re-bbl it anyhow...

Something to consider.

You will love the .338-06 it is a great cartridge and I've always thought about building another one.

I was at Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago and they had a nice M700 ADL with Laminate stock for $500. It really doesn't bother me if I have a floor plate ot not on a hunting rifle. Rebarrel that action and and bed it back into the stock and you got a cheap .338-06 ready to hunt. Only thing I'd do is reshape the stock a bit and send it off for 18 LPI four pannel checker job and have a rifle ready to hunt elk.

I find RL15 and 200 grain Hornady SP give me nearly 2900 fps out of my .338-06. 210 grain Nosler Partitions are another good canidate for bullet of choice to use in the .338-06. Can't imagine anything that walks the lower 48 stand up to 200+ grains of bullet at 2700+ fps.

Last edited:
Can you get 18LPI on a lam stock? I have seen folks that advertise they'll checker but IDK if it was that much. If so - COOL :)

Can you get 18LPI on a lam stock? I have seen folks that advertise they'll checker but IDK if it was that much. If so - COOL :)

Well I just had Kevin Weaver do some stock work for me on my .300 H&H in a laminate. He said he was comfortable going to 18 LPI on most laminates. I know most are around 16 LPI from the factory when you are able to find a checkered laminate stock. I didn't checker my stock but I'm still thinking about having it done later on.

Back