33 nosler

Run the numbers though a ballistics software program. Shooting similar bullet weights any 33 caliber will be faster at the muzzle than a comparable 30 caliber rifle. Lots of guys look here and no farther, but the better BC's of the 30's will always surpass the 33's at some point down range. It really depends on the exact load and bullet but often as close as 50 yards and rarely farther than 200 yards.

The better sectional densities of the 30 calibers mean better penetration than 33's at any range. The difference in diameter of a 30 caliber bullet vs a 33 caliber is about the same as the thickness of your fingernail. In other words it won't have any effect on game.

If you compare any 30 vs 33 built on similar case sizes such as 308 vs 338 Fed, 30-06 vs 338-06, 300 WM vs 338 WM and on up the only thing you gain with the 33's is more recoil. All of these factors contributed to the military giving up on the 338 Lapua and going with 300 WM for their long range rifle.

If you feel a 30 caliber isn't big enough to do the job skip right over everything else and go straight to 375 mag.

I say that regardless of any thing you read here, and most of it can be refuted, go for it.

It should be a hell of a cartridge.

jmr40 I know you dislike the .338 calibers, but a lot of .338 bullets have better BC than .308 bullets. There is a reason the .338 Lapua has found favor with the military for a long range round. For every bullet you like in .308 I can find a .338 bullet that meets or exceeds the BC of your bullet.

Shooting similar weight bullets isn't a fair comparison. Shooting a 185 grain .338 Accubond is like shooting a 125 grain Accubond in in .308 . I don't know why you assume everyone who wants a .338 caliber rifle is going to shoot the lightest bullets possible.

I don't own one but you have plenty of room magazine to seat bullets out. My nephew is shooting 338RUM he used Bartlein barrel and I shot 300 RUM for couple year as well as custom 338 mag.

You got the 250gr/300gr AB plus the Berger.

https://www.33nosler.com/ballistics/ You have to click on what you want to look at.

I think it be a good one for 338 fans.

The advantage of a larger caliber over a smaller one on the same case is bullet weight! In the 30-06 case, the 30-06 tops out at 225gr and the 338 at 250grs. I don't recall seeing 225gr bullet's very much for the 30 cal but 250 for a 338 cal are pretty common. Years ago Speer made a 275 gr 338 bullet. Don't know if they make it anymore.

Swift makes a 275 A-frame. I haven't pushed it, but loaded to their specs, it goes 2,400 out of my .338 WM Savage. By comparison, 250 SGK easily makes 2,700, and a bit more with the right powder.

Main reason I'm looking at going to a 338 Cal rifle is for the 300gr Berger. That and Barrell life. I got less than 800rds on my 300rum and it no longer holds moa groups. Not sure if it that was because of the cheap factory Barrell or because I experimented with a bunch of 162 grn AP bulletts pushing them at 3500fps. This isn't for hunting just for playing around with at long range and experimenting with handloads.

Let us know how you do. I presume you've checked published data against other fairly large case .338s, like the .340 Weatherby and the .330 Dakota. The Dakota cartridges are based on the .404 Jeffery. Aren't the new Noslers also? I doubt that are many out there yet, being new proprietary cartridges. The 33 bore has a following (me included) based on fairly large, high BC bullets. But 30s will always be more popular in the US. For some reason, there are people who actively dislike 33s. But for long range it's about as big as you can go without a mandatory muzzle brake. Have fun. I will stay with my .338 Win Mag; it shoots further than I do.

Yes I have checked published data but at this point that all comes from nosler I can't seem to find anybody who had actually run one through a Chrono independently. What nosler claims looks great but they also claim their accubond LR bullets have better bc than anything on the market but real world testing says otherwise. I have ordered the Barrell from kreiger 28" #8 contour in .338 and threaded for a brake. Hopefully be here in 4-6 weeks. Just gotta decide if it's going to be a 338edge or 33nosler. Leaning nosler just to be different and see what it will really do.

While i am a big fan of Nosler, their cartridges, with the exception of the the 22, are just the Dakota cartridges slightly tweaked for the current fad of extra long range shooting. However with their name and the fact that they produce both guns and ammo suggests that their versions are much more likely to succeed, but only if other gun manufacturers chamber their cartridges.

Back