32ACP powders

308Loader

Started loading for my berretta 81 in 32ACP. Sweet shooting mini berretta. currently using tight group. Cases came out sooty and hot, is their a better powder for this little guy? Load is 2.0gr TG, berry's 71gr RN. Shoots fine, but is their a better choice?

All the usual suspects for fast pistol powders should work. Lots of folks complain about TG getting hot. Try Clays or Bullseye or 231 or Ramshot Zip or Accurate No.2. The last three should be good choices because spherical powders tend to be easier to meter by volume consistently, and such a small case doesn't have a lot of room for error.

I use Bullseye. Tried Unique once, felt like it was too much, but I should chrony both before I say it is indeed too much.

Lyman 50th says that Red Dot gets a decent velocity with a max charge, but good luck finding any of that these days.

what is the appropriate OD of the flair and crimp? first run went well, seating on the second I seem to be scraping off plaiting.

I use 1.8 grains of Tite Group, 71 grain LRN for .32acp shot in a Kel Tec P32. It is a touch on the dirty side, but no where near as bad as when I use Tite Group in .45acp. I do tend to crimp more than most people. Maybe my crimp is allowing better powder burn?

"...came out sooty and hot..." Lighting a fire in 'em will do that.
"...appropriate OD of the flair and crimp..." There is no number. The amount of each is "enough" and no more. The flare is enough to be able to sit the bullet in without it falling out. The crimp, which will be taper crimp only, is just enough to hold the bullet in place.
Keep in mind that a Beretta 81 is not a target pistol.
No data on Berry's site, but plated bullets use cast bullet data. They are not jacketed bullets. No plated or cast data on Hodgdon's either.

308Loader,

Different brands of brass have different neck wall thicknesses, so there won't be a universal correct OD. You get the ID a few thousandths over the bullet diameter, but that's about all that can be said for sure.

Back