32acp ammo storage boxes

libiglou

Hey Guys

Just started to reload this round and I'm getting a bit annoyed with the ammo storage boxes I bought which the manufacturer claim would fit 32cp but clearly don't. One bounce and there all over the box. Opening the lid and they start to spill
out. So annoying. I've looked almost everywhere and no one seems to make one that fits. Can anyone give me a source for some or have some other idea. I would hate to use a plastic bag for storage. Thanks

There is no good answer to this problem, as far as I am aware.
In this context, I'm combining my experience with .32 Auto and .32 S&W ("short").

What I do know...
Cabela's .380/9mm boxes (rebranded MTM?) do just fine with loaded cartridges. They do not, however, handle empties very well. In your words, "One bounce, and they're all over the box."
FS Reloading offers (or at least used to offer), a box that is .380-specific. Same deal as the Cabela's boxes, but slightly better. Loaded cartridges do fine. Empties like to go on walkabout.

MidwayUSA CBU-type boxes are no good. The trays are too short. A plastic bag, or 'bulk'-style packaging in a box, would be better.

Other than that...
Dig through the trash at your local range. Factory ammo boxes are often the only 'good' answer.

Alternately, just get a piece of foam rubber (or similar material) cut to fit inside the lid and glue it in (or leave it loose, up to you) This will fill the empty space and keep cases or loaded rounds from bouncing out of their spots.

I have the MTM P-50 boxes, I don't need a foam filler. Just tested one filled with primed .32acp cases. Shook & bounced in every possible way, upside down, right side up, end for end, spun, tossed etc.

The brass rattled but every one was in its place when the box was opened, none "loose" or "all over the box".

Get some, they will cure your problem with empties getting loose. ;)

That's probably the easiest solution. You can also make your own. Take a couple of lengths of 2×4 and drill 11/32" holes the depth of your COL and then counterbore them just enough to let you grasp the cartridges down in the holes. Drilling a quarter-inch deep between the holes with a wide enough wood boring bit may give you a better grasp. The second length of 2×4 becomes the lid. Just set it on top and put some small cabinet hinges on one side and a hook latch on the other.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought berry plastic boxes and they were clearly not for 32acp . I checked on the mtm boxes but a review on amazon said they were too big. Glad a few of you contradicted that review. Might have to try some. I also tried using factory 380 ammo boxes and they seem to work out pretty well. I'm going to mark them because I also load 380 and don't need confusion on what I have.

The MTM P-50 boxes I have say they are for 25 Auto-32 Long Colt. They're a bit big and loose for 25 auto, and taller than needed for .32 ACP, but they work ok for me.

for 32acp they contain loaded and empty cases just fine, no loose cases floating around in the box. if you need them to fit with no rattle, fold a paper towel over the top. they were designed for 25 and 32, other box mentioned in first post were for 9mm and 380, way too much space top to bottom.

Back