32 winchester special

ruger357w

I'm looking in to loading cast bullets for my 32 Winchester special. My manual says to use .321 diameter cast bullets but I also thought you run one size up like a 322 diameter. I've only ever loaded cast bullets for a 357 and my 44 mag. So I'm a little confused on what I should try. Thanks

I would use at least .322" and bigger if the chamber would take it freely.
But MBC sells a .321" coated that might do OK.

You are correct, of course. Common practice is to load a mil larger than the jacketed spec bullets. That said, I bought some 165 cast bullets from Buffalo Arms, planning to duplicate the old 32-40 load in my Marlin 336. Those bullets are 0.321". See what's available. I believe either will work; one may prove more accurate.

It doesn’t matter what the “jacketed spec bullet” diameter is, what matters is the actual bore diameter of the OP’s barrel. Not all barrels are the exact correct bore size, many are at least slightly larger. Example, many .44 Magnum rifle barrels measure 0.432”. Too, in Microgroove barrels many find better accuracy sizing up two thousandths - what brand barrel does the OP have? The OP needs to slug his barrel to be sure. Or he can just shoot any size bullet he wants, and never know if the poor accuracy is due to a too small bullet, too high velocity, the wrong powder or something else.

We're not concerned with the bore diameter but the groove diameter. The way to find that id to slug the barrel and carefully measure the "slug".

Currently I'm not casting for a .32 Spl. Marlin but do so for a 336 Texan in .30-30. Near as I could measure the groove diameter was .3081". Bullets sized to .309" were not very accurate and I settles on bullets sized to .310".

The only rifle I have in .32 Win. Spl. os a Winchester m94 and I'm figuring that if the groove diameter is .321" I'll just start with a .323" sized bullet and go from there.

FWIW, I've been shooting cast bullets in 30 caliber rifles for many years and .310" has always proved to be the proper size, whether the cartridge was the 30-30 .308 or 30-06. Never shot cast in my .300 Magnum. I vote for sizinf .002" over groove diameter.
Paul B.

Standard advice for generations has been best accuracy with cast bullets comes with diameters .001-.002 over barrel groove diameter.

Every gun can be different in what it likes best, of course, but this advice is generally good as a starting point, and may be all you need to do. Depends on your individual gun.

My old books say .32 Special uses .320-.321" bullets. Those might be fine. Or you can get your bore slugged and see exactly what it measures and then get appropriate sized bullets.

For what it is worth, the SAAMI drawing puts groove diameter at 0.320", but you'll have to slug your bore to see exactly what your barrel actually has.

Back