32 SW Long load data feedback

Marineblueline

I recently picked up a bunch of 32 SW long reloading components at auction. Included in the lot was a bunch of reloaded ammo. Thankfully each cartridge box has all of the load data on it, and I was noticing some of the loads are hot and go beyond what my manual has for max for red dot, and even has mad load written on it. Some of the boxes are labeled second reload, and upon inspection the cases look fine. I highly suspect he was shooting these in a 16-4 6” that was also on the auction, unfortunately out of my price range. I am the type to do my homework and be cautious so wanted to see others thoughts in case maybe this was a load others have used, but in several days of search haven’t found anything close.

Unless I get different feedback than I am expecting I’ll probably just pull the bullets on these and load again. These’ll eventually be shot out of an LCR or the new UC j frame in 32.

Load 1
100gr SWC
3gr Red Dot
Oal 1.160(same oal as my manual)

Load 2
95gr SWC
3gr Red dot
Oal 1.160

I’m seeing red dot loads top out in the mid two’s even on lighter bullets. Any thoughts?

I think you've got this pretty well figured out. The SAAMI pressure limit for the .32 S&W is only 15,000 psi due to the older guns that are still out there. Published loads are (should be) intended to remain within the SAAMI spec. The 16-4 is obviously much more robust and can handle greater pressures, so that's quite possibly what the earlier owner was up to, somewhat irresponsibly IMHO. I suspect that your two guns will handle these overpressure loads OK, but if it were me I'd pull them down and re-use the components in a properly published load recipe.

Thanks all. The loads are roughly 20 years old some even into the late 90’s, whoever did them added good notes. But sounds like it’ll be best to redo these hot ones. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to future discussions here!

1970 Lyman manual, .32 Long, 93gr cast bullet

Red Dot 3.0gr. MAX. Vel" 847fps
Test gun: S&W model 30, 3" barrel

Thanks 44 AMP, I’m using Lyman as well but a tad bit newer 49th edition. Curious that they do not have the 93gr load in this one, do you mind sharing their starting load? Given my purposes I’m not particularly looking to push envelope, at least for now. I’ll be loading range ammo and using underlying firearm for carry.

That said I could see myself picking up something with a bit longer barrel and doing a little squirrel hunting!

Lyman (45th?) edition .32 S&W Long

93gr cast bullet #313226 (no.2 alloy)
bullseye start 1.4gr Vel 462fps max 2.7gr vel 846fps
Red Dot start 1.7gr vel 504fps max 3.0gr vel 847fps
Unique start 2.5gr vel 568fps max 4.3gr vel 992fps

Test gun S&W model 30 3" barrel.

hope that helps

I would not shoot anyone else's reloads. I would pull the bullets, dump the powder in my garden, treat the brass like used primed brass.

Back