32 magnum to 30 super carry

MacRoy

Ok, i have a new charter arms 32 hr magnum. Buffalo bore +p ammo is supposed to be safe to shoot. So my question, would the new 30 super carry be safe to shoot thru it?

Huh? Aside from the fact it is not a rimmed case and im not sure if the dimensions would even let it fit in the chamber, 30 super carry is rated at 45,000psi, 32 hr mag is only rated at 21,000 psi.... so imho, no, it would definitely not be safe.

Not safe and I don't believe you can fit it in a .32 Mag chamber anyway. Stick with the Buffalo Bore ammo for self defense, it's more than enough.

Thank you. While i haven't taken precice measurements of the actual cartridge, the bullet diameter is .312. Essentially it is a 32 acp magnum. Marketing is probably trying to avoid that comparison. The 32 acp will chamber and fire in a 32 mag revolver if somwhat unreliable. I wasn't sure of the +p psi rating, quick comparison of information on velocities had +p pushing the .312 diameter bullet faster than the 30 s.c. also a .312 bullet. Economics being what they are, i can find 30 s.c. on the shelf but not 32 mag.

Even if it fit in the chamber and your gun was able to stay in one piece under such high pressure, how did you plan on ejecting the cases? Especially since they’ll practically be welded in place from double the pressure.

I did notice that in a video on b.b. 32 mag +p ammo comparison. The video on +p ammo states that is not in saami specs. It did take some work to eject the spent cartridge, not nearly as easy as the 38 spec +p in the video.

The video on +p ammo states that is not in saami specs.

they were telling the truth about that, because there is no SAAMI spec for .32Mag+p.

None. SAAMI only has "+p" specs for 3 or maybe 4 cartridges, and none of the .32s are one of them.

If the video is implying the rounds are dangerously high pressure, because they are not SAAMI spec, they are lying.

Other than the obvious, (you cannot comply with a standard that does not exist), compliance with SAAMI pressure specs is voluntary. Buffalo Bore does not have to comply with SAAMI. No one HAS to. They are voluntary and there is no penalty or punishment if you don't.

I don't use or buy Buffalo Bore ammo. If I want the level or performance BB ammo delivers, I can handload some equivalent much, much cheaper. SO, in that regard, I "got no dog in this fight". But I do respect BB's position, and find it somewhat refreshing in this day and age...

Generally, from what I've seen, Buffalo Bore will not tell you what load they put in their ammo. They will not tell you what the pressure is. THEY DON'T HAVE TO, and choose not to.

What they will tell you is what guns they have tested their ammo in, and that it is SAFE in those guns. And they will tell you not to use their ammo in guns that they have not tested. Understand that "safe" is not a guarantee it is suitable, it only means it is safe.

SAAMI pressure specs are an industry standard chosen to be both safe and suitable in every gun on the market, from the weakest to the strongest. They are not the physical safety boundary though from what I've read here over the years, many folks seem to think they are.

This analogy isn't perfect, but its close enough you should get the point... think of SAAMI pressure limits like the yellow speed limit sign on a curve. It is the recommended speed, and every vehicle that meets the safety standards to be on the road will be safe at that speed. If you're driving something like a sports car, you may be able to safely take that curve at a speed much higher than what is recommended on the sign. If you're driving something with a high center of gravity like a large truck or some SUVs you may not be able to take the curve safely at much higher than the recommended speed. The actual speed that is dangerous on that curve depends on what you are driving and is different for different vehicles.

I mentioned the difference between safe and suitable. Ammo can be safe (not blow up or break the gun) but be beyond suitable for certain guns. An example would be, shooting some ammo in your gun and having sticky/difficult extraction. The ammo is safe, the gun didn't get damaged (nor did you) but its not suitable because the cases stick.

I've experienced this personally, ammo shot from gun A having issues, same stuff from Gun B working flawlessly. Both are SAFE, but the ammo is not suitable for Gun A, and is for Gun B.

Regarding the OP question, shooting .30 Super Carry in a .32 Magnum, ...NO, just...NO!!

Even if the physical dimensions allow it to fit, it is absolutely not suitable, and very likely would not be safe.

Generally, from what I've seen, Buffalo Bore will not tell you what load they put in their ammo. They will not tell you what the pressure is. THEY DON'T HAVE TO, and choose not to.

No one does. Not Remington, Winchester, Federal, Speer, Hornady, and so on.

Late to the party, but with a question to stir the fire... the 32 ACP is referred to as rimless, but is in reality semi-rimmed. I have successfully fired them in my (custom) S&W K frame chambered in 327 FM and they extracted fine. Has anyone actually seen the specs for the new 32 Super Carry? Is it based on lengthening a 32 ACP case? How does it compare to the 30 Carbine round? I know there have been Ruger Blackhawk revolvers chambered in 30 Carbine for years, but of course extraction is facilitated by the ejector rod.

Froggie

Thank you. I’m still going to hold off on the 30 Super Carry semiauto and stick with the 327 in revolvers and 9mm in semis. My decision only, YMMV. ;)
Froggie

Look at the specifications for the 30 Super Carry ... it has a very high operating pressure .
It's operating pressure is 45,000 psi ...
a 357 Magnum Operating pressure is 35,000 psi .
The 32 H&R Magnum operates at 21,000 psi .

I would think long and hard about converting a 21,000 psi revolver to shoot a 45,000 psi cartridge .

My advice ...just but a 30 Super Carry !

Gary

Hi guys, thanks again. I realize the question can the revolver handle the high pressure of the 30 super carry safly, the premise is based the pressures of the buffalo bore ammo which is also very high pressure. Buffalo bore states their ammo is safe in all modern 32 magnum revolvers. My revolver is a 32 mag, not a 327. Be interesting speculation, even its unwise to try in 32 mag would it work in a 327? Moon clips would be fun.

Heard about the .30 Super Carry a little while back, have seen the available specs.

Has no interest for me, can't see the point (other than selling another product). You can get a couple more rounds in a standard size pistol magazine, but the trade off is a smaller diameter round at a very high (for pistols) pressure.

Very high pressure rounds are beasts in small light guns, which most people prefer for carry.

My prediction, initial sales (provided there is a good supply of ammo easily available) will be good, but I expect that as more guns get into people's hands many will become "put off" by the muzzle blast (and perhaps the recoil) of the high pressure round and the difficulty of using powerful rounds in smaller guns so initial interest will fade and some will call for ammo that is "easier to shoot".

iF they get reduced loads, people will look at the reduced performance and that will also work against the popularity of the round. (you can't please everyone)

Unless adopted by some major police groups (forget the military) I think it will be, at best surviving as a niche round, if it survives commercially, at all.

With the current ammo situation of spotty availability and high prices for common widespread use rounds, I can't see why they put a new, untested, smallbore high pressure pistol round on the market at this time.

if they can make some $ off it, great, but while I hope I'm wrong, I just don't see a bright future for it, at this time.

Very high pressure rounds are beasts in small light guns, which most people prefer for carry.

I expect that as more guns get into people's hands many will become "put off" by the muzzle blast (and perhaps the recoil) of the high pressure round and the difficulty of using powerful rounds in smaller guns so initial interest will fade and some will call for ammo that is "easier to shoot".

Here is what Federal says about the 30 Super carry:

How does felt recoil compare to 9mm Luger?

Recoil, flash and sound report provide a very similar shooting experience to 9mm Luger.

https://www.federalpremium.com/30supercarry.html

I have one and I agree. It's like a 9mm Luger.

To clarify, i do not own a 30 super pistol. I own a new charter arms revolver. Finding ammo on the shelf was the reason for the original question.i can find 32 long smmo occasionally but no 32 magnum ammo on the shelf. I do see 30 super in more quantity.

Back