.32 Magnum Questions

RWK

I will eventually by a Ruger SP-101 (three inch barrel) as a potential carry gun and also a backup CCW. I have seen a great price on one in .32 H&R magnum. My questions are:
a) Stopping power of .32 mag versus .38 Special +P?
b) Availability and cost of practice ammo?
c) Can any other rounds (.32 auto with moon clips) be used in this .32 mag?

My general feeling is the .32 mag is inadequate in comparison to .38 Special/.357 magnum, but I would appreciate your opinions.

.32mag

Mine have been 5.5 " Single Six and 6.5" Bisley and I've fired and clocked a 4" sp101 and a 3" taurus. There have been at lest three variations on the jhp factoryload and two on the lead bulletload. The newest load is a bit faster over my chronograph that the first version.

The JHP load did 1125 from my 6"; right at 1100 from the 5.5 and 997 from the 4" sp101. The taurus had large chamber mouths and a pretty big b/c gap and put the factory jhp out in the high 800 fps range. From the longer guns, the federal factory load would produce very consistent velocities and fine accuracy. They would also disrupt such small game as jackrabbits, cottontails and armadillos and it was obvious that bullet expansion was happening (25 yards and under).
From the longer barrels, the lead factory load did right at 1000 fps.
A much worshiped gunwriter used to stick 10 grains of 2400 under these 85 grain bullets and get some really high velocities. There is a story that this practice prompted S&W to drop the Kit Gun variation in .32 mag because the mw Gunwriter was promoting massive overloads. My own attempts to duplicate factory loads have worked best with ww 231 - 4.5 grains of it and they put the general run of 85 gr jhps out at 1120+ fps. Slower powders such as 2400, and 296 often produce 200 or more fps extreme spread over ten rounds.

Early Federal cases tended to split from one end to the other on the first reload and sometimes on the first firing. Starline brass is better but splits sometimes occur there too.

While the cartridge has its enthusiasts, I would consider a .38 special to be much more versatile given the selection of factory loads and components.

Well now...

I just happen to have a (nearly) new S&W 331 AirLite Ti snub in .32 H&R mag. (11.9 oz.) I've done some reading on the subject and the .32 mag compares favorably to a regular pressure .38 special (in fact, a little better) but usually, not quite as much power there as a +P. I buy the Federal Classic 85gr., jacketed hollow points for $8.25/20 rounds. You'll have an inch more barrel length with the Ruger so you'll get slightly better results. (Probably) The Federals have not been difficult to find nor have the lead wad cutters. As far as using moon clips and firing the far shorter OAL .32ACP's, I wouldn't do it. Shorter rounds make a mess on the front of your cylinder that possibly could build up enough to stop the rotation of the cylinder. That's my opinion. Tamara and Lendringser also own .32 mag snubs and maybe they'll chime in and give you their opinions.
I think where the .32 mag has it all over the .38 special is recoil in small, light snubs. I was just reading an article in a new gun rag last night where the author states that his favorite round for a small light snub is the .32 mag. I really like mine. If they reply, I betcha Tamara and Lendringser will say the same thing!
The truth is that I didn't realize you could get a Ruger SP-101 in .32 mag with a 3 inch barrel. That is one I would definitely be interested in adding to my little collection.

KR

Back