.32 Magnum -- Opinions Please

RWK

I have been vaguely considering a Ruger SP-101 in .32 magnum as an occasional "pocket" carry piece. Your advice regarding the efficacy of the .32 mag round would be appreciated (I have more than sufficient confidence in the SP-101 as a revolver).

More specifically, presuming a similar approximately 2 inch barrel, how effective would the .32 mag be in comparison to the .38 Special (standard and +P loadings)?

I generally subscribe to the "nothing less than .38 Special or 9x19" school; however, your opinions of the .32 mag would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wellll, haven't seen any data, but...

...the .32 Mag is offered on the same platforms that you can get .38 Spec +P for, so logically you're not getting higher chamber pressures, just higher velocity due to lighter bullets...but you can go fast and light in .38 Spec, too...

...you will get a sixth round, but that really doesn't seem to prove much...

...ammo will cost more, and there will be much more variety in .38 Spec, unless you handload.

I read somewhere (ya, right! :) ) that the .32 Mag was developed for marketing in countries where "military" calibers (such as the .38 Spec) were illegal for mere "citizens" to own.

Would be interested to see any ballistic or field reports on the .32 Mag vs. .38 Spec +P.

I have always been of the 38spl/9x19 or larger myself. However, 32 cal handguns have been grabbing my attention lately. The 32 H&R Magnum is reputed to have a similar energy dump due to a higher velocity. Also, many of your five shot 38spl snubbies are identical in size to a 6 shot 32H&R Magnum. You are also afforded the chance to shoot 32S&W Long or 32S&W short. Could work either way. Seems to be a matter of preference.

A used 6-shot J-frame in .32 H&R Magnum is very high up on my "gotta-have" list. Ammo is more expensive, sure...but that caliber is just neat, especially when paired with a Ti Airweight snub.

On the back burner with other things I'll probably never get around to; 6 shot I frame (.32 hand ejector 03 model) in .32 mag. Six shots and twenty percent lighter and smaller than real steel J frame.

Sam

The bullets for 32 H&R mag are pretty light. If one is going fast enough to ensure expansion I don't think it would penetrate sufficiently. A heavier bullet may not go fast enough to expand. Of course I don't have any ballistic data around to consult...but I think a 38 spl would perform better. Energy dump is nice, but you've got to have expansion and penetration.

A 32. H&R magnum is also on my list. Personally, I've considered this more of a lightweight "working" gun cartridge, such as dispatching pests and varmints at close range. Guess it would be adequate for self-defense in the right package, though.

I have and frequently shoot a S&W M16 .32 H&R Magnum.I have read that the power factor that it can be loaded to matches the .38 Special--never bothered to try it though because I like the feel of light loads and the lack of noise.It is a very accurate gun and heavier than the .38 which is identical except for the (bigger) holes in the barrel and cylinder.
I would feel quite comfortable using it in self defence if I had to.I'd probably produce better placement.I'm also quite sure that a factory JHP would seriously discourage a BG.
On the other hand,if I had any choice in the matter I'd have a .357 Mag.

Back