.32 ACP round worse than I thought

martin6

I just bought a Kel-Tec P-32. Even though the .32 round is a weak round I am glad I have this gun. It affords me the priveledge of carrying at least something in situations where I absolutely cannot carry anything bigger. But, I found something interesting while looking at a couple of ballistic tables. Both tables stated the feet per second and the foot/pounds for some of the popular .32 ACP rounds. On the Evan Marshall table was the Winchester 60gr. Silvertip at 970 fps and 125 ft/lbs. and the Winchester 71gr. FMJ at 905 fps and 129 ft/lbs. On a table in the Nov/Dec issue of the NRA's American Guardian, while testing the P-32 they recorded the Federal 71gr. FMJ's at 803 fps and 102 ft/lbs and the Winchester 60gr. Silvertips at 777 fps and 81 ft/lbs. All this to say that it seems evident that the short barrel of the P-32 somewhat slows velocity from what is shown on the "standard" tables. THIS LEADS ME TO MY QUESTION. What defensive load should I use? The Silvertips seemed pretty lame (velocity wise) out of the P-32. What kind of velocity is necessary to get a .32 hollow point to open up? Or, should I just go with the 71 grain FMJ and hope for better penetration? thanks, sorry so wordy, -martin6

In my very humble opinion, do not waste your time with hollowpoints in that load. Time and time again, tests show that the .32 does not even expand in gelatin, and probably never in a person.
And the question is: do you really want it to expand anyway? Expansion hampers penetration. Therefore it is good in deep penetrating rounds, but the .32, in real shootings is not known to penetrate very deep at all.
I would stick with ball ammo. It is a little more reliable, and you get no benefit from the hollowpoint anyway...in fact, it may be a bad thing if it does open up and you get not enough penetration to to reach vitals. I am all for hollowpoints in the more powerful guns, but not in the .32.
This is JMHO, and I could even be wrong! Advice here is worth what you paid for it ;)

Do a search on "P32 ball" in this forum. The topic has been discussed alot lately. FWIW, I prefer Fiocchi ball and S&B ball for practice. My P32 proved very reliable BUT you must practice to hit what you point at under stress. P32 takes practice if you want to fire it quickly and accurately.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

I talked to a gun dealer who had conducted private tests with the p32. The only ammo that would penetrate a leather jacket was the Fiocchi, (not sure what distance they were shooting from - but was typical distance for self-defense situations).

I am still trying to decide if I will buy a P32, I probably will, but relying on it may get you in trouble, particularly in winter if the perp is wearing a heavy jacket.

Glaser does make a round for the .32 that supposedly puts out 200 ft/lbs.

It pays to remember that these diminutive little guns are meant as a weapon of last resort. I have the Guardian and it is more than accurate enought to accomplish it's mission but it is NOT a primary carry gun.

I use mine as a backup or an alternative to not going armed at all (deep concelament for questionable occasions). They are NOT EVEN CLOSE to a preferred carry caliber but they are VASTLY better than no gun at all.

Mikey

I ran my own penetration tests and found that .32 is no slouch. It is only a last-resort device but will stop with enough shots fired. Better than than have me and my precious .454 Super Automatic HandGonne spotted, arrested and disposed of. And much better than using empty hands, improvised defenses or .25/.22 pistol.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

Perhaps you can get an aftermarket 8" barrel to step up the velocity on your Kel-Tec? ;)

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

I always kind of liked the .32. Personally, I feel the hollow point are a waste of time in this caliber. Partially, this is because I have a M1903 Colt and it's none to fond of them. Nevertheless, Geco .32 is pretty hot, and generally clocks around 980fps out of the Colt. Some lots are less enthusiastic, but it's better than domestic stuff. I'd lean towards Geco ball for this reason, though that won't do Seecamp owners much good.

With a small caliber, you can't count on shock. You must place your bullet where it will do the most bad to the target. This means the throat, the eye, the nose, or the mouth. Chest shots should be taken only when the target is not heavily built or wearing heavy clothing. The name of the game here is practice until you can routinely hit a 2" target at 6-10 feet.
If your gun won't do that, get another gun.

Jim

I've always looked at the P-32 as a warm weather gun so I don't worry about how much clothing it has to penetrate. If it's cold enough to wear heavy clothing I would be wearing enough myself to comfortably conceal a much larger gun... in particular a Kel-tec P-11 if not a Sig 239 in .40S&W.

pbash

"I've always looked at the P-32 as a warm weather gun "

Good point, if I am wearing a coat, I carry a 44 special, or possibly my sig P228. The main problems with concealed carry for any gun I think is weight and thickness, as thick guns do not conceal well in pockets, and are uncomfortable in IWB hosters, and heavy guns are uncomfortable in anything except rigid hosters.

Back