.32 acp out of .327 barrel Bond arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rothdel

Just out of curiosity. I know some 327 revolvers will chamber the .32 acp since it has a half rim. Not all revolvers will fire said .32 however. Is it possible to fire the .32 out of a Bond Arms however?

Not really sure why I want to know since I don't have a .327 revolver or Bond Arms derringer but its driving me crazy not knowing.

Can you shoot a 32 acp out of that gun? Possibly. Should you? Probably not.

I will say though that I have heard numerous stories about people shooting 32 acp out of a strong 32 S&W long without issues, and the case dimensions are similar as far as diameter goes. Still, I would not do it.

Assuming the case will headspace, why would there be any objection to firing a .32 ACP round out of any firearm chambered for .327 Federal Magnum? It ain't like the .32 ACP is a hotter round ...

I cannot recommend the practice.

But if the firing pin will set off the primer, it's possible.

Extraction will be a crap shoot, but that's another matter.

I had the 2" Taurus 327 for awhile. It handled the 32 acp fine. Not a definitive test but there it is. Sold it because of recoil. It just wasn't much fun to shoot 327 mag out of it and appeared it was going to beat the gun up pretty quickly.

No way a 32 ACP round would damage anything chambered for 327 Fed Mag.
Repeated firing of .32 Auto (or .32 S&W) in a .327 Federal firearm may cause premature damage to the chamber(s), due to the bullet's long, unsupported jump to the throat, just as max pressure is being reached.

It may take some time, but when the battle is combustion gases vs steel, the gases always win.

Some of my 32 magnum revolvers will fire 32acp and some won't. It might depend on the exact length of the firing pin. Since they are chambered for a more powerful round, I certainly don't expect it to harm them. I shoot 38's out of my 357 and 44 specials out of my 44 magnum, too.

The 32H&R would be a really good reduced load, although I realize this is not what you were asking.

Same thing could be said on shooting 38 Spl wadcutters out of a 357.
Nope.
The typical bullets used in .38 Special and .357 Mag will contact, or at least be inside the throat of a .357 Mag chamber before the base of the bullet leaves a .38 Special casing. As such, there isn't a time during which the bullet is unsupported, nor is the gas seal completely lost.

That is not the case with .32 Auto or .32 S&W in a .327 Federal chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back