32 ACP Load Suggestions

Jaywalker

After being inspired by Ed Harris articles, I just bought an old Colt 1903 32 ACP:
Colt1903LeftSideReduced_zpsad5690c4.jpg

I'd like to reload cast bullets for it, probably a Meister 94 gr flat point which Harris says is supposed to get good results at 750 - 800 fps. The problem is my Lyman and Hornady manuals don't list anything this heavy.

Does anyone have any links to some some loads for this, possibly with Bullseye?

Thanks.

Sexy little beast. I want. ;)

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I use the 94 gr Meister LFPs in .32 Auto and .32 S&W. The loads are, however, for revolvers, and use Unique.
I don't know how well they may or may not cycle an autoloader; or how well my choice of OAL would work with a .32 Auto chamber.

But, this is what I use:

.32 S&W / .32 Auto
94 gr Meister LFP
CBC case (Magtech)
Fed SP primer (#100)
1.9 gr Unique (it's on the mild side)
COAL - bullet seated to top of crimp groove (aka 0.925" in .32 S&W brass -- I've never measured the .32 Auto load)

I also run the same bullet with HP-38 in .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long. In .32 S&W (consider it roughly equivalent to .32 Auto, but with slightly less case capacity), it's an average load in my revolvers - 700-750 fps. With the same load in .32 S&W Long brass, it's notably milder ... enough so that some people feel the need to make sure that the bullet left the barrel after they pulled the trigger.

Fair warning: I pulled the data straight out of my rear end when I created the load.
If you're curious:

.32 S&W
94 gr Meister LFP
CBC case (Magtech)
Fed SP primer (#100)
2.0-2.2 gr HP-38
COAL - Same as above (~0.925")
--The COAL would change for .32 Auto, but the load should be suitable. On the high end, you may be pushing 850 fps, but I wouldn't expect any more than that.

.32 S&W Long
94 gr Meister LFP
CBC case (Magtech)
Fed SP primer (#100)
2.0-2.2 gr HP-38
COAL 1.237"
-- Obviously, this load is just shown for comparison. But, velocity is as low as 530 fps out of a 4" or 5.5" barrel. For a time, I was loading 1.8 gr HP-38, which ran just 470-480 fps. It scared most people that shot it, because they thought the rounds were squibs. :eek:

SAME DISCLAIMER cuz this aint in no manual either cuz of the bullet weight..... BUT I use a 90 grain Lee RN mold and 1.3 grains of Red Dot in my ..32 ACP Ortegies and Savages and have for twenty some years and it works fine.

Thanks, guys. I got inspired to do this by finding Ed Harris' reviews (such as http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Handloads-com-quot-Experiences-with-a-32-quot ) in his various 32 ACP. You've given me a starting point and I can target Ed's for a finish.

In some of his write-ups he talks about Bullseye, so I asked about that, but truth be told I've never cared for that powder. I prefer something like Unique that prevents me from double charging - not as efficient, but it gives me peace of mind.

I appreciate the info, and agree that it's my responsibility to choose a safe load. Again, thanks.

Back