.32 ACP in .32HR Mag revolvers

There's two issues:

1) Being a shorter overall caliber, accuracy goes down because the bullet accelerates some distance down the cylinder with no rifling. Also known as the "freebore" effect. Not too significant for plinking, informal practice, etc.

2) Much more serious is the far smaller rim on the .32ACP. It *does* have some rim, which is why this works at all. But if the gun is a swing-out cylinder DA with an ejector star, the rim can get hung up under the star.

The solution is to poke the rounds out from the front of the cylinder with a cleaning rod or similar, and not use the ejector star.

This is a non-issue on SA revolvers such as the Ruger Single Six, because that's exactly how the ejector works - one round at a time, forced out by a rod down the inside of the shell. If NAA ever made a scaled-up SA minirevolver in .32Mag like we've been begging, it would also have no problem with .32ACP.

Everthing Jim says is right.I wonder why anyone would bother when you can get good Starline brass in .32 H&R Mag.
I use 2.4gr of W231 behind 98gr BNWC good accuracy in a 6in barrel.I have tried the .32 S&W but these are too short to work with speedloaders.The projectiles won't get into the cylinder reliably enough.
BTW as I have said many times,the .32 Mag is my favourite revolver,I shoot it every week,and still love it.

I am seriously considering on the SW Ti .32's. I had a 342PD in .38 special, but I really think that was too light for the .38, yeah you could shoot it, but couldn't enjoy it. So, the .32 seems like a better package. 6 rounds, and if you load 60grainers, pretty comfortable. I love the J frames. I would really like S&W to bring the 317 out in a .22wmr/.22lr convertible, all politics aside. The Taurus is too heavy for what your delivering.

I can't really see the point. The .32 ACP is lower powered than the .32 Magnum and there is no quantity of cheap surplus ammo. If one wants to fire a less powerful round in the .32 Magnum, the regular .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long can be used.

Jim

Back