32-20 ammo problems

Mauserme21

Inactive
I have an old s&w chambered in 32-20. I was given an assortment of loose ammo of unknown background or age. I decided to shoot some of this stuff carefully just to see what 32-20 was all about before I go and buy a new box in exchange for my firstborn. Some went bang, some went pop, and some wouldn't even load all the way into the cylinder. I attribute the different power levels to old powder and primers, but why would some of it be too big at the base to load the whole way into the cylinder? It wasnt corroded. Can ammo swell with age? Were there inconsistent loadings depending on whether they were intended for revolver or rifle?

I was given an assortment of loose ammo of unknown background or age.

That could be the problem. Be very careful when you are using ammo that is unknown.
Try and find some reputable ammo to try your gun out!
From what I've heard, some 32-20 made for rifles are not to be used in handguns, so if you are unsure about the ammo handed down to you, it's taking a risk.

Midway carries some blackhills ammo, and that's what I would start off with.

Really hard to tell without knowing more about what you got. There was a time when there were two rounds made for 32-20, rifle and handgun. I believe most modern factory 32-20 is safe in both but I don't know when that change occurred. I also doubt you will be able to know which is which just by head stamps. If you have a mic you could go ahead and find where the rounds differ. Just because they won't chamber doesn't mean they are out of spec at the base. If you have ever considered reloading, 32-20 is an easy one and a lot cheaper than factory stuff.

.32-20 ammo that was more powerfully loaded and intended for use in the Model 1892 Winchester rifle will generally have a headstamp like HV, Hi Speed, Hi Vel, Super Speed, etc.

NEVER use ammo with those headstamps in a .32-20 revolver.

Now, depending on the age of the ammo you have, you might be shooting rounds with corrosive primers.

You need to clean you gun thoroughly, including rinsing it well with hot, soapy water, and getting it well dried, to make sure that any corrosive priming compound doesn't rust the hell out of your gun.

The 32-20 cartridge is quite easy to load once dies are set properly, too much crimp, not sizing the case fully, wrong size bullets (they come .311,.312,.313) May not work in your pistol, cases sizes and shoulder crushed slightly etc. Adjusted correctly and with a proper bullet and they are one of the most fun cartridges to shoot.

"...have an old S&W chambered in .32-20..." Me too. It was one of the hand guns that I was given long ago that got me "On paper" here. It's .32-20 WCF. Sadly mine, a Police Positive, lived in a poorly oil cloth for 50 or 60 years and wasn't cleaned before it came to me. Rusted stupid.
"...Some went bang, some went pop..." Old ammo, that may be Black Powder, has been stored incorrectly is like that. Like Mike says, no using rifle ammo in a revolver. Although it is reported that current ammo is fine for use in a revolver. Anyway, Cabela's lists Black Hills brand "Cowboy Pistol" ammo at $42.99 per 50. Not exactly 'body part sale' expensive.

"Sadly mine, a Police Positive..."

The PP's frame wasn't long enough to handle the .32-20. The Police Positive Special was.

I have two .32-20s...

An early S&W M&P 5" and a 4" Colt Police Positive Special. Love them both!

Back