.308 Win w/RCBS cast bullets

Wallyl

Has anyone ever compared the RCBS 165 SIL-GC with their 180 SP-GC cast bullets in the .308 Winchester? I'd like to try both to determine which would be more accurate out to 200 yards. I have to use my reloading components (mainly primers) sparingly, as I don't have many left. I would guess that the 180 SP-GC would be the most accurate, but I thought that I would ask.

I realize that...just wanted feedback from others that have tried both in their .308 Winchester. The 165 SIL-GC has an undersized nosed. When I first tried it in my .308 Win & .30-06 I got lousy groups. I Beagled the mold and the group sized shrinked dramatically.

44 AMP

Beagling a mould to cast bigger bullets is a great idea from John Goins, a.k.a. “Beagle”. You glue alu-minum foil strips to the faces of the mould block to increase the diameter of the bullet. After you squeeze out all the excess glue, and after casting about fifty bullets, you are supposed to get larger bullets.

I thought they used aluminum duct tape. Whatever the exact material, the idea is it shims the mold wider on one axis (actual shim stock would work, too). If done the right amount and within limits, apparently the resizing die (or the bore) can swage the lead enough to cause the bullet to fill the narrow side out.

I used 3m duct tape to Beagle the RCBS .30 Cal SIL-GC mold perpendicular to the length of the bullet body. I first thought it'd not work and would cause the spinning bullet to be out of round and cause it to yaw, making it inaccurate, but my group sizes went from 4" to 2" at 100 yards.

Back