.308 Win questions

Futo Inu

Two questions about this cartridge (.308/762 nato), as it is going to be the cartridge of my next rifle (first rifle other than SKS).

1. Lyman's reload manual says that it's probably the most inherently accurate cartride of the .30 cal family. True?

2. Is the popularity of this cartridge big-time declining for some reason? Yes, we all know if you get an M1A or other military-type semi-auto battle rifle, it's 308, but when it comes to bolt actions, they seem almost non-existant. I went to a huge sporting goods store. They had exactly one bolt-action rifle in 308, among many dozens. Wal-Mart now has NONE on hand in the store. Until about 6 months ago, they had one. Last two guns shows I went to, I scoured the entire show for a bolt .308, and found exactly NONE in either show (BTW also not a single Glock 17 for sale - strange). The NRA sweepstakes fundraiser thing I got in the mail today has a variety of bolt guns you can win as prizes. Here's how they break down: .300 Win Mag (two), 30-06(two), .270 (two), 7mm rem mag (one) - very unscientific, but it accounts for general popularity to some extent. The local gun shop has one or two 308s in bolt guns, but several more choices even in .280 Rem (has another name, too- 7mm express?), which I don't believe was ever that popular before. What gives? Are we as a society (not TFLers) succumbing to the bigger (i.e. 300win mag) must be better, without thinking of the job(s) the gun is designed for? Therefore, the 308, like the 9x19 in pistols, is somehow "anemic" (yeah, right), and you're not a man if you shoot anything that can't bust 3000 fps when hunting?

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited September 17, 1999).]

I'd say .308 is as popular as ever. All FN FAL's, HK G3/91, M1A (as you stated), M60's, M240G, etc are .308. I think, with most full power rifles, .308 is kind of like the base or default caliber, with other calibers optional.

It is strange that there was only 1 .308 bolt gun at that store.

The perfect combo is a bolt action .308 and a semi auto .308. This combo shares many friends in military circles, especially long range targets with the bolt action.

Also, good to stay NATO compatible. Easy to get surplus ammo (which you'll need in a semi-auto). Save the expensive ammo for the bolt action.

FUTO:
With the absence of that caliber on hand, in stores and shows, would that not indicate they are sold as quick as they come in? With all the other 308's in the store or show, of course they want to sell them, so will tell you that Bolt guns are not popular.

When in the business, bolt .308 were hard to keep, easy to sell.

HJN

We build a large number of 308 tactical guns. They run about equal to our 50s in tactical. I would say that it is ranked no less than 3rd most popular factory loaded cartridge. If you can't find one it's a sign that it is popular.

Futo. In answer to your first question, I would tend to agree with Lyman up to a point. When compared to other 30 caliber rounds I would have to say they are probably right. I have never owned a super accurate .308 Win. but I have owned a bunch of .308s I know I will probably get all kinds of flack from this, but if I had to get rid of all my guns but one, I would have great heart wrenching agony trying to decide between 30-30 Win., .308 Win., and 30-06.
I'm deadly serious here. Tell you what. Grant me the 30-30 (a family heirloom that I used to kill my first deer) and I would have to debate between the .308 and the 06.
OK. I'll take the .308. Why? because 90 percent of my big game hunting is deer, with an occasional trip for elk. (if I am lucky enough to draw a tag.) I have seen several elk dropped handily with .308s. Hunting anything bigger is out of my reach unless I win the lottery. Fat chance there.
I try to limit my shots to 200 yards or less, although I have made shots at nearly double that range. I have 3 loads, all using W-760 that serve my purpose beautifully.
Which .308 would I keep? Probably my Winchester Model 70 Youth ranger push feed. Yes, I would much rather have had a controlled feed action, but I won the damn thing in a raffle. It shot lousy, and was too short for me. (what do you expect for a dollar? It was second place, first place was a .300 weatherby) I had a short action Ramline stock for Model 70's so I put it in that, bedded it slightly, put a Tasco World Class (Japanese made) 3x9 scope on, and it has shot 3/8's inch groups with ammo it likes. I had the trigger "de-lawyerized" to 2.5 pounds.
I have several 06's that will come close to this rifle, including one that weighs less, but none are as accurate.
Another point in favor of the .308. If the balloon ever goes up, God forbid, our military uses .308's AKA 7.62 Nato.
Paul B.

Back