.308 & Varmints

Xyzzy

Inactive
Could someone please tell me what varmint a .308 rifle would be for? I've always wondered, ever since I saw an M700 VS-SF in .308 at the local gun store. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, like maybe some people have real big varmints?

I've use the 130 grain hollow points on big jackrabbits, (20pounders), coyotes, and badgers, also used 170 grain cast flatpoints at about 1100 f/s on the above. The .308 lets you reach out a lot futher than a .223, especially in windy conditions.

The old "accelerator" loads and the hand-loadable sabots allow you to push a little 60 grain pill up to around 4000 fps.

A good friend of mine has great success with the old fine Speer 130 gr. HP (I think it's now 125 g, haven't tried it.). With the 150 gr BT bullets, you've got a lot more wind-bucking ability. The main thing is, you've got a nice varminter that will then turn around and cleanly bust deer (with appropriate load) out to 300. I, for one, wouldn't do that with a .22-250!

I have a Sendero in .300 Win Mag, which is a heavy-varminter-contoured barrel, and I've no compunctions about coyotes at 400+ with it. Sure, I'd love to have a .22-250 or a .25-06 or the like, but this is my everything-rifle, and punches holes as accurately as many, if not most varminters. Just a littttttle bit louder, and bit more oomph on my end. :)

Now, if I had some real money, I, too might be befuddled as to why you'd want to stretch roles. But I'm poor, and "make-do" makes sense.

Thanks for the replies! I did buy the rifle (.308 VS-SF) today even though I don't have any varmints at my house. I guess I will have to go looking for some. I probably should have researched the purchase more, but it just jumped off the rack at me. My wife hasn't noticed it yet, but I'm sure she will **** a brick when she figures it out. I picked up a Harris bipod, the one that swivels, along with it and some Leupold rings and bases. I haven't decided which scope to put on it yet.

One thing on it that does not impress me is the trigger. Maybe I'm too used to my S&W 625 SA pull... I'm not saying I'd want a pull that light, but I'd like the same feel. Better yet, I had a Python once that had an incredible SA pull. Package that feel at about 3# and I would be in heaven.

I've sent away to Jewell and Canjar for their brochures. Does anyone here have first-hand experience with these triggers? BTW, I did readjust mine and managed to get rid of most of the overtravel, and I lowered the weight a bit, but it still sucks.

I live in North Carolina, right outside Fort Bragg. Does anyone know of a place nearby where I could get into some varmint action? Hell, even metallic silhouette (sp?) would be fun. I'm willing to drive a bit.

In reference to the sabot rounds, wouldn't the twist be all wrong for the weight? I believe my rifle is 1:12 which I think is just right for the .308 but not for a saboted .224 bullet. Or am I just missing something again?

Xyzzy,
I live a little NW of you and varmit hunting is all about who you know. Chatham and Randolph counties have decent groundhog populations if you can find a dairy farmer who will let you hunt on his place. Ashe county and the other mountain counties have lots of coyotes and groundhogs but once again its about knowing a few farmers. The good news is that crow populations are at all time highs. You can hunt them down east or in the center of the state. Yes I seen crows killed with 30-30's, 308's and 30-06's. While they aren't idea crow rifles you never have to wonder if you hit them :)

I've loaded 110-grain bullets in my '06 for a long time. They work well, from jackrabbits on through coyotes...Negligible recoil, and the thin jacket blows up as intended. The 120- or 130-grain bullets might well have thicker jackets, and might punch on through at longer ranges without, maybe, much disruption...Might, I say, maybe.

I put a Canjar on my pet '06. Luvvit! I have a Timney on a Ruger 77 that came with a tort-liability trigger--vast improvement. I put a Dayton-Traister on an old 1917 Enfield, so it would cock on opening and be adjustable; that worked well.

FWIW, Art

Back