.308 Sweetness

mk70ss

Was lacking a decent heavier caliber bolt gun (have plenty of small caliber), so I traded two handguns I never used for this Bergara .308 rifle. Really nice rifle for the money.

Nice looking bolt action.
Looks like a 22-inch barrel.

Now you'll need to see what bullet weight that particular chamber/barrel likes and what powder it performs the best with.

Sorry if I don't give you a 'pet load'.
I have two identical .308 barrels and they prefer different bullet weights.
Perhaps the barrels/chambers were reamed with reamers that had different use wear.

I have one 6.5mm Creedmoor that would show high pressure with almost every load I set up from 37,000 psi to 54,000 psi.
I eventually gathered lots of pictures and load data and asked the manufacturer why.
They paid for me to send it back to the factory, bored it out a few thousandths and solved the problem. Fortunately, that didn't impact its accuracy. It is still a tack driver but has never shown the pressure signs ever again.

I concluded that the reamer was about at the end of its life and produced a very tight chamber.

I had a Hunter just like that in 6.5CM that was a tack driver. But I already had another 6.5 that would drive even smaller tacks. I let it go, not because I didn't like it, I just didn't need 2 rifles so similar, and I liked the other one better.

I tried 2 others in 308. The Ridge, and a Wilderness Ridge. While they were accurate enough for most hunting, they weren't in the same league as the one I had in 6.5 CM. I have moved on from both of those too.

I'm betting you like it.

Nice, sounds like you got a good deal out of the trade.

I just got a cheap 308 bolt action because I have a bunch of ammunition to burn through.
If I like larger caliber bolt guns I may get something nice like your rifle.

GP

Bergara is supposed to make a heck of a rifle. Heard nothing but good reports.

The .308 is a versatile ctg, these days the near equal of the '06 , afield I'd say it would be hard to tell the difference. My favorite ctg. A tidy .308 bolt carbine is a really handy rifle too. My favorite these days is the 18" Ruger Predator w/ a simple 1.5-5x.

Your rig' s a bit more, but will hold steadier and shoot a little harder. Best of luck w/ your new rifle, you're sure to enjoy.

.308 is so under-rated and under-appreciated. It is an absolutely awesome 1,000 yard gun with the right ammo.

I recently purchased a .308 bench gun (because PRC is so damn expensive), and I am really falling in love with it.

When I was sighting it in, I was simply looking for a group and before the wind started blowing, I put these three together at 100 yards.

Ruger American Tactical, 20" heavy barrel, ported, acu-trigger.

LfdTRsQ.png

3k1HyHQ.jpg

You have a shooter there for sure. And some talent behind the trigger

I think what is so amazing, I am shooting a $800 gun (100% off the shelf, no gun-smithing on it) with Federal factory ammo and that is the group I got. (By the way, I got several more 3 shot groups just like it.) And that is a $400 Vortex scope. I know a lot of guys that would like that performance with their $12,000 platforms.

Some of these, off the rack, guns are incredibly accurate for sub-$1k prices. It's amazing and good for all of us.

Not sure I can dial in a bench load any better.

For what it is worth, the Federal Gold Match Ammo is the best I have ever shot for factory ammo.

I think you will like that Bergera, I don't own one myself but the factory rep is a member of my local gun club and I have shot some of his. All have been tack drivers

My .308 is a Savage 10 action with stock trigger, 29 inch Shilen barrel, in a unbedded $150 Boyds stock. 4064 and Power pro varmint with 168 SMK's

It won't make weight for HV or I would try and shoot it in the our IBS club matches for score just to annoy the guys with the 12K rifles

Attachments

• .308.jpg
    .308.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 52
Take a Bat 3 lug action, Bartlein barrel, Masterclass stock, Jewel trigger, and have a master gunsmith put it all together then top it with a March scope and tell me what it ran you.

Today I scored 245 of 250 in the 100 yard match and came in dead last in a field of 27 but yeah I agree, it was the wind reading and reloading skills of the shooters that made the difference. My used 2K rifle and $500 dollar scope could have done OK if I could have nailed more X's

Last edited:
Upgraded the rifle today. Swapped out to a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 x 50 V Brite scope with illuminated reticle.

I know a lot of guys that would like that performance with their $12,000 platforms.

If they are not getting better performance than one of two things must be going on, they can’t shoot or they are using really crappy ammo.

What best defines the accuracy of a firearm and its ammo?

* smallest few-shot group.

* largest many-shot group.

Nice rifle mk70ss. We have 5 Bergaras now and they are really decent rifles. Been happy with all of ours so far.

Bergara also owns and makes most of the components for CVA--I'm really curious as to how well the CVA bolt actions shoot, I have one of their Paramount muzzleloaders and it shoots just as accurately as almost any bolt action rifle I have--the quality is spectacular at the price point IMO.

My guess is that Bergara will be all you'll ever, truly, need. My experience with Bergara rifles has been very positive. I have Bergara Premier models, but the main difference is cerakote and trigger...and of course the action is US made. It comes down to the barrel in most cases, and those barrels are good. Congrats.

Back