308 Suppressor?

Beretta686

I have a chance to buy a 30 cal suppressor that I'd like to float between a Savage .308 and a 7.62 upper on my AR-15 SBR. I'll prob use it for pig hunting but it's mostly just to be cool.

Everything looks good on paper, but I've spoke to a few of our snipers who didn't really care that much for suppressors and say their not worth the effort.

I have a .22 suppressor that's kick-ass but I have very little experience with center-fire suppressors. I've seen some things on youtube but that's about it.

Can I get some of your thoughts on putting a suppressor on a 308 and 7.62, when I don't have access to sub-sonic ammo?

A suppressed accurate .308 rifle is a real joy. Adding the suppressor to my already accurate rifle actually tightened the groups. I use supersonic match (my handloads) ammo and can shoot it without ear muffs.

Savage 110 Tactical with AAC Cyclone Suppressor

Savage110wCyclone.jpg

Everything looks good on paper, but I've spoke to a few of our snipers who didn't really care that much for suppressors and say their not worth the effort.
I've been shooting suppressed bolt guns with full-power ammunition for several years. It's hard to go back, and I virtually never shoot my LR precision rifles unsuppressed now. (The only one I do is the 338LM because of heat input to the can causing mirage after sustained fire.)

A suppressed 308 is about as loud as a 22LR - definitely worthwhile.

I'm looking at a YHM that a buddy of mine is looking to unload before he goes down-range.

MGRacer: I have that exact same set up. Did you get a threaded barrel or have the factory one threaded?

Does the suppressor change the impact much?

I had the factory barrel threaded. Yes, adding the suppressor does change the POI, but it is consistent every time you add the suppressor. Now I always shoot with the suppressor so it does not matter.

My POA shift using Zaks can with 100 grain Norma 6.5x55 loads @2700 fps (mild load) was one click at 100....1/4 MOA..

Thats between Barrel with Brake and Barrel with can.....I am betting no POA shift between bare barrel and can.

Wildmorelikea22shortAlaska TM

Back