.308 safe for Israeli Mauser?

kilimanjaro

Picked up an Israeli Mauser today, mint condition, dou 43 make, rebarrelled in 1964 to 7.62mm NATO. Is it OK to use commercial .308 Winchester in lieu of the military round, I understand the .308 adds about 15,000 psi to the chamber pressures, about 30% overpressure.

I have another Mauser sporter in .308, and have had no problems there.

What a great history lesson these Israeli Mausers are.

Condidering that a commercal .308 is a squib round for what the gun was made to run its not a issue. They used to shoot over pressure aircraft MG ammo in the things all the time when they where 8mms.

Perfectly safe, as .308 and 7.62x51 are the same thing. There is no pressure difference as the two numbers mentioned above were measured on two different scales. It's like saying "I don't want that little kilo of bologna, I want 2.24 pounds". Military 7.62 cases are a bit thicker to withstand MG extraction, so the internal capacity is a bit less, so reloaders need to keep this in mind. There is no difference externally.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/1895Chile.html

Scroll to the bottom of the link then compare, if you have a 7.62 conversion peak up inside the barrel, the conversions were not all done alike.

I like the article by the Dutchman, if you notice at the bottom of the page he gave credit to his resources, he does not pretend he is the source of information, as opposed to:

"There is so much misinformation about this I am going to straighten everyone out"

F. Guffey

Back