308 Ruger Precision Rifle Review

Mrgunsngear

MRcX79zl.jpg

Spent a little time with both the 308 and 6.5 RPR lately; here are my impressions:

Pros:
-Loaded with features for the price point which is around $1200-1300
-has a lot of aftermarket support currently
-CHF 4140 barrel threaded for suppressors or muzzle devices
-ergonomic controls (grip, safety, bolt)
-Comes with 1913 keymod rail; you can use either 1913 or keymod direct bipod mounts
-adjustable trigger which is generally decent for a factory option

Cons:
-The stock latches came open a few times despite me adjusting the tension pretty tight
-The bolt was a little sticky at first and feels loose right up until it's locked into battery

Full review with accuracy test:

Review Video Link]

I had no idea you were on here. Now I have another platform I can troll you on!

I've had mine for a bit over a year and my biggest complaint so far has been that the bolt shroud I have a v1) is really a PITA to get back on if you accidentally spin the bolt to the fired position. I had to put mine in a vice to get it back to the cocked position to re-install the shroud.

Also, the stock was set it and forget it for me. My optic was picked from the moment I got the rifle, and once I had it, I set the stock up and locked it down. I had need to change it a few weeks ago and adjustments had completely seized up. I had to completely remove the tensioning hardware to get it to unlock and allow me to adjust it where I needed it (I was putting a new shooter on the rifle and needed to adjust the LOP and comb for them). It was a pain. There were springs and hardware all over the shooting bench. I may swap it out for something like a Luth-AR MBA. I never use the fold-to-side feature anyways (nor do I care for how it works). I'll never be packing this rifle into anywhere for a hunt. Mine's 15lbs with optic and bipod, unloaded and with the suppressor I run.

Josh Supnick

Last edited:
I had to completely remove the tensioning hardware to get it to unlock

I've had a few folks say this and a few others say it popped loose like mine. Leads me to wonder if there's a QC issue on this stock production.

Could be. The first rifle I got said .308 on the box and the rifle was actually built as a 6.5 Creedmore. Serials matched. I had to send it back to Ruger and wait for a replacement.

Back