.308 or .223

Fun Answers:
1) .308 is BIGGER than .223 :)

2) Use the caliber that fits the barrel. :)

But, on a more serious note:
What is the role of the gun?
That will help define the answer.

------------------
Regards,
~Douglas in CT :)

For general use, the .223 has got quite a lot of advantages over the .308:

You can carry the same number of rounds in a smaller bundle; or more rounds for a given size bundle. BLS of soldier is about 100 rounds of 308 vs 330 rounds of 223.

Killing power is pretty much the same according to gummint tests.

Ammunition is significantly cheaper so you ca shoot more for a given amount of $$$.

Reloading is also cheaper, uses about 1/2 the powder of a .308. Smaller, cheaper bullet, too.

Accuracy is about equal, however, I would guess the average AR15 will outshoot the average .308, given the diversity of types of weapons chambered in the latter: bolts, pumps, levers, old military clunkers, etc., etc.

Best regards, whatever your choice!

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Vince, Douglas is dead on. As Frank Loyd Wright showed, form follows function..

Figure out what you want the rifle to do and the caliber becomes obvious. I have both with different missions for them.

If I could only have one caliber it would be .375 H&H.

Giz

as you can guess from my nickname i will favor the .308. the .308 has significantly more recoil and is more leathal at greater distances because it would not lose energy as fast as the .223(just my opinion). I would pick the .308 over the .223 every time, but if you were wanting a gun to shoot high volumes of rounds in the .223 may be the best choice because of the price of ammo and the reduction in recoil.
I beleive that the .308 Win WILL out perform the .223 in accuracy in capable hands. MOST people WILL shoot a .223 better because of the lessened amount of recoil it produces. Any amount of flinch, no matter how slight, that the shooter has anticipating the recoil WILL greatly affect accuracy.

thats my $.02

------------------
.308 WIN: The ONLY cartridge you will EVER need!

BigG brought up alot of very good points. If the most important factor is terminal performace, in my opinion, I think the .308 is better. It can do and kill (hunting) anything the .223 can (maybe a little overkill at short ranges) but the .223 can't do or kill everything the .308 can.

------------------

Back