.308 instead of the 6.5 PRC

Yeah, I own a 6.5 PRC and I can't shoot it. Maybe.... I'm just too cheap, but I refuse to pay $100-$150 a box of 20 for ammo. So... it is sitting in the gun safe and because .308 is stacked very deep on the shelves, with my local gun store having ammo on a pallet, four feet high..... I picked up a .308.

It is a Ruger American Hunter, 20" heavy barrel, ported, and a Magpul stock that is fantastic. I took the Vortex off the PRC and mounted it on the Ruger.

Purchased three boxes of Winchester FMJ at $19 a box for the 'break in'.... Then I purchased a box of Hornady Match 168's and a box of Federal Gold Medal 175's... to see how it shoots those two rounds. If neither of those pan out, I will continue looking....

But to get Hornady Match and Federal Gold Medal for $36 and $38 a box.... beats the hell out of Hornady PRC at $150 a box.

I think this will be a fun little gun to play around with and it will be much cheaper to shoot than the exotic rounds.

3k1HyHQ.jpg

Last edited:
The PRC is a handloaders round. The 308 is a solid choice for guys who shoot factory ammo and don't need the long-range capability of the 6.5 PRC. The 308 will get it done farther than most can shoot anyway.

I had one just like that for a while. Good rifles, but heavier than I wanted.

I thought I was the master of self-excusery to justify buying new guns--but I think you have me beat.:D I recently had to buy ultra-expensive Petersen 6.5 ammo JUST for the brass so I could make my own 25 PRC ammo. That brass is worth its weight in gold.

.. and here I've been grumbling about the cost of .308, it would cost my daughter and I ~$200 each just to shoot one match (steel silhouette, 6mm minimum), let alone what we'd need for practice beforehand.

I am blown away by the gun!!! Shot three different types of ammo through her this morning and all three are crazy, good accurate. Even the cheapo, FMJ 147gr.... yeah, 5 rounds in a row in the bullseye at 100 yards. I also shot Hornady 168 Match and Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr. These last two were making the same hole ..... but I am guessing I will see them really shine out past 500 yards.

I had a blast and love shooting the gun. Can't wait to go back to the range! Next bench I will sit is the 200-600 yard, steel range.

hjnX4oF.png

No love for the 6.5 Manbun. :rolleyes:

Ammo’s waaay too spendy and it doesn’t do anything better at practical distances than the .308.

Nooop. Hard pass.

@ OP- grats on the new rifle, .308 is always my first love and I am sure you will get years of enjoyment from yours

for you PRC guys

I have been going in the opposite direction of the big cartridges myself. While I still have a good supply of powder for my .308 and .260 I cringe a bit every time I drop 40 grains plus just for practice or fun shooting. Instead I have been gravitating toward my 6 BRs, 6.5 Grendel, and 6 ARC. All three shoot well out to 850 and save me 15 to 20 grains of powder per round.

std7mag - Although i must say, the 7mm-6.5PRC has caught my interest!

been considering a 7mm- 08 myself, just because of the availability of 7mm bullets. I have a good supply of 6mm bullets but 120-123 grain 6.5mm for the Grendel are scarce these days

I've been very impressed with how well the Ruger American rifles shoot from all that I've been around. Federal GMM is probably the most accurate ammunition one can buy in .308 Win, and seems to be the gold standard for testing the accuracy of the rifle. I usually don't shoot heavier than 168 grains out of the .308, as I believe 150-168 grains is the sweet spot for performance.

I did successfully hunt a 5 point bull elk with a .308 this year, and I used 130 grain TTSX ammunition. I can't recommend that bullet enough if you want a lower recoiling hunting round for someone recoil sensitive. The 125 NBT and AB make an excellent choice for deer sized game and smaller out to 400+ yards, but if elk is on the menu go with monometal bullet if using a lighter grain bullet.

I have been going in the opposite direction of the big cartridges myself. While I still have a good supply of powder for my .308 and .260 I cringe a bit every time I drop 40 grains plus just for practice or fun shooting. Instead I have been gravitating toward my 6 BRs, 6.5 Grendel, and 6 ARC. All three shoot well out to 850 and save me 15 to 20 grains of powder per round.

I will concur and I have no doubt that my 6.5 Grendel will be getting a lot of range time as well.

But my new .308 is a shooting solution that is 1/3 or even 1/4 the ammo cost of 6.5 PRC right now.

I am really hoping my Ruger likes these rounds... as 185's are what I really want to shoot.

3GPajkQ.png

Goes to show ya, the old tried and trues still get the job done. As stated earlier, the majority of us will never find a situation where the advantages of the new wizz-bang cartridges will be realized over the "grandpa" cartridges. 30-06, 270 Win, 308 Win, among others will be around for a long time to come, because they just work and work well. ??????

She's a shooter!

I got to the range about 10am and shot up the rest of the box of Hornady Match. It's not bad, but I think this gun deserves better. I was getting right at 1" groups at a 100 yards. I then switched over to the Federal Match 175gr Sierra's and this is my best 3 round group. Once again, at 100 yards. (I took three guns... would shoot three rounds and rotate to the next gun.)

After I finished the 175gr box, I was about to start on the 185gr box with the Berger bullets, but a front blew in and the winds went to 20mph+, so I packed up and left. Supposed to snow tomorrow, so I will try to get back to the range next Monday or Tuesday, but this time I will sit the 200 yard range.

LfdTRsQ.png

Back