.308 ammo question

D.Ed

Inactive
Usually buy my ammo from Classic Arms,Indian Trail,NC. They are listing 3 different flavors of .308,Indian,British&Malaysian. Just looking for general plinking ammo. The Indian is the cheapest at $67.50 for a 540 round tin. Anyone have any experience with it or care to make other recommendations.

India has a crappy reputation for manufacturing gun stuff. I've used the Malaysian in my FAL and it shot fine, but was a bit dirty. The British Radway Green is suposed to be good stuff, but I've found power differences in the stuff headstamped in the 90's (more powerful, better ejection) and the 80's (simply fell out of ejection port at the same gas setting).

I've had good luck with the British Radway Green .308 ammo in my new FAL. Its the only ammo I've used, so I can't compare it to others, or comment on the gas setting, but my rifle was throwing the cases around 25 feet! It was almost as much fun watching the ejected cases as watching for the bullet impacts! I probably need to adjust the gas port. These were headstamped "85". I bought another 800 rounds last weekend at a gun show ($59.95/400 rounds in a surplus ammo can).

I thought about getting the Hirtinberger ammo, which is boxer primed (more easily reloadable), but it was also significantly older, cost a little more (about $30/1,000 more), and didn't come with the ammo cans. And, with the British ammo, I don't have to worry about hunting for my brass because it's Berdan primed. I'd feel guilty leaving reloadable brass behind.

The Hirtenberger is excellent ammo. I have had good luck with Portugese NATO ammo as well.

My friends at The Armory (http://www.the-armory.com) sell the Hirtenberger for $4.79/ box of 20, $47.50/ sealed pack of 200, and $237.50/ case of 1,000 (five sealed packs). And they'll ship it to you if those prices are favorable.

Back