.308 Accuracy

PeterM

Inactive
I have a box-stock Ruger M 77 .308 with a good scope on it. I've always been more of a pistol shooter and reloader but got out
the rifle this fall to shoot some paper. I can get a .75 inch group at 100 meters on a good day. What should I expect at 300 meters? A 3 inch group was the best I got but its not consistent with that. At 100 meters it seemed to shoot better with 38.5 grains of IMR 4895 and I've tried a bunch of different powders and loads. I'm using a 178 grain Hornady BTHP. Its my understanding that getting the bullet as close to the lands as possible is best as long as you've got at least .125 inch of bullet contacting the brass. This gun has a long chamber so that's how I've been seating them. The question for me is just what is the best I can expect at 300 meters? I can knock down 10 silhouettes as fast as I can load, sight and shoot but I'd like to be able to try some targets as well. Should I try less bullet or more velocity or am I at the limit with this particlar gun?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pete

Try the 168 Sierra match kings. You are getting more out of your Ruger than most would be capable of giving! You got a good one.

I to have a M77 Mark II, bolt action. I was out 2 weeks ago and shot about 1 inch groups with standard Nato ammo first time to shoot the gun and I thought it shot well. I didnt get any longer shots ,no targets setup at 200 yards will ask my friend to set up some hay bails later on. I think it is pretty accurate for up to 300 yards, then it has a significant drop from what most bullet formulas suggest. I agree with the target ammo, its more consistant , i only used it in the 30-06 at this time. have fun and keep the target sighted.

Back