.308, 8x57 and IMR 4895

PocketCamera

What books have the best published paper loads for this powder with 150 grain bullets?

got 150 gr interlock for .308 fun, and 150 grain sst for the 8x57. Just cant find much information at all for imr 4895 with them the day after i bought the powder. frustrating.

I looked at my small collection of manuals, and found data for 150 gr bullets over IMR-4895:
.308 Winchester - Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Swift
The IMR website includes Hornady data.
8x57 JS - Sierra, Speer.
The IMR website includes Nosler data.

Hornady tested their 8mm 150 Interlocks with IMR-4064 and -3031. Don't know why they left out 4895, but probably because they got their best results with the others. Hornady does not list a 150 8mm SST on their website, just 170.

Last edited:
What books have the best published paper loads for this powder with 150 grain bullets?

Define "best"...

Different bullets, different rifles, different everything over more years than most of us have been around means there is a lot of data out there. Took a quick look in a couple old books, Lyman start data was Speer max data.

Best load?? no book or website can tell you that, only your rifle.

Per Mikejonestkd, the Hodgdon site has a 150-grain bullet, a Hornady flat base soft point, with IMR 4895 at 42 grains for the starting load and 49.5 grains maximum. That's a wider charge weight span than you usually see and probably reflects the range of gun ages and conditions you can find in this chambering.

Back