.308/7.62 vs Appendages

rjinga

When I looked at my shot placement, after my first trip to the range with my new Red Dawn targets, I notice that several rounds struck the hands, wrist, and forearm. I know that stories abound of bullets being deflected by the oddest things; however, as a general proposition, in a combat situation, would a FMJ .308/7.62 round travel through the hand/wrist/forearm and still strike the torso with significant velocity?

Attachments

• Hand and arms collage.jpg
    Hand and arms collage.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 26
Yes.

Shot a pig once, he was quartering in front of me, and looking in my direction, at about 80 yards. I shot him between the eyes with a .308, 150gr Sierra Gameking. The bullet exited behind his ear and reentered his shoulder, exiting again about 10 inches later.

Yes.

and while bullets can, and do deflect from things, including bones, there is an absolutely HUGE body of evidence about what the .308/7.62NATO does (not will do, HAS DONE) to the human body.

Start in WWI, then include WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and continue to the present day. OVER A CENTURY, of conflict where the .30 caliber 150gr bullet at approx. 2750fps has been used.

The 7.62mm NATO was created to DUPLICATE the military .30-06 loading. SO, essentially, all the data from the use of the 06 in combat applies to the 7.62mm NATO as well.

And, commercial loadings of the .308 Win are about 100fps faster than the GI load.

So I'm the bad guy now?

I started a thread on a different forum using the same exact 1st post (copy & paste). This morning I received email from the moderator with the following statement:

"Your thread about how bullets would travel through body parts and impact other parts was deleted because topics such as how to best kill someone for whatever reason is not what [forum name] is about…." Bold added.

I thought I was asking a question about ballistics; but, I guess that's just a fancy word for "what's the best way to kill somebody?"

Oh, and here's the moderator's signature line:

"An armed society is a polite society"
To old to fight, To slow to run, But I can still shoot!!!

:confused:

Back