.306 diameter 110 gr. Jacketed bullets

a1parrothead

Hello all,
I have a large amount of supplies I was given.
Among them is a large amount of 110 grain jacketed R.N. bullets.

They are consistently measuring. 306 in diameter.
I was told they were loaded in an M1 carbine.
But, I have always loaded. 308 dia.
To head off questions, these are definitely measuring .306 dia. with 3 calipers that are properly zeroed and that measure all of my other calibers dia. accurately.
Any ideas what these are for?

Jeff

Bullets have a range of sizes, typically. For 30 Carbine, the SAAMI spec is 0.306" to 0.309". You may find they bump up enough to shoot OK, but I'd hate to predict that for you. See if you can slug the bore of the gun you want to shoot them in and get a comparison.

Pretty sure that 110g jacketed bullets at .306 were intended for the .30 Carbine. When I was much younger, a group of the old guys at the club would order in 1000 .306 110g plinkers, powder and primers and spend a day making them up. I wish I had taken a photo. One guy ran the sizer die on his press, then the next guy primed and dumped powder, the next guy seated the bullets and the last guy checked them and dropped them in bins. Lots of coffee, sandwiches and cussing at each other was par for the procedure. In the 1980s, they were in their 60s.

My brother bought a gun that had the throat gone for 6-8 inches (ceremony rifle, snot black). He did not know it when he bought it.

What we found was if we used as low a velocity as we could, its at least shot a group and did not tumble.

I would go with starting as slow as you can as it would give the rifling a chance to trip and spin the bullet up.

For the worn throat, using hBN or moly-coated bullets might help as they reduce engraving force. Or else treat the barrel by adding Tubb Dust to the powder or treat the bore with Sprinco Plate+ Silver.

Back