.303 or 8mm?

CMR

Inactive
I'm considering trading my Enfield #5 Jungle Carbine for a custom made rifle in 8mm. Gonna take another look at it to see what brand name it is and also what kind of scope is on it. My question is should I trade my Enfield #5 for this rifle? I'm asking because I have noticed the "wandering zero" w/the Enfield, is it worth keeping? What caliber would be recommended for deer, .303 British or 8mm? Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks.

There's no doubt

that the .303 is Ok for deer. The Canooks have been using it for bear and moose for decades. AND I love my #5! BUT! The 8mm Mauser is a better round than the .303, and what the 1911 is to semi-auto pistols, the Mauser 98 is to bolt guns! In other words, the 8mm in a 98 Mauser were made for each other.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

In a case like this, I believe it's not so much the caliber as the launching platform. Go with what will ultimately will give you more confidence.

We Canucks, have been using the .303 for ages. With the 215 gr Woodliegh bullets I believe it is a better big game rifle (under 200 yards) than the 8 mm. And the Enfield is a far superior bolt action BATTLE RIFLE than any Mauser. Having said that, the Mauser action is generally tighter, more accurate, stronger and much better suited for sporterizing than most Enfields. Having had, at last count 23 different .303's over the past 20 years, I like them very much. For us ammo is that much cheaper and easier to get and a very good Mk IV can be had for under $100 CDN ($65US) and scope mounting is a breeze (see 303British.com). If you reload find a good full size .303 load it up with 215 gr bullets and go hunting.

Make no mistake!

I love my #5. And my #4 Mk II, and my #1 Mk III, but the Mauser is, by far, the better action! And as for the .303 round, well ... there is that damned rim!

Remember that old Saw about the rifles of WW I?

The Germans had the best hunting rifle (Gw98).
The Americans had the best target rifle (03 Springfield).
The Brits had the best battle rifle (Enfield #1 MkIII).

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

One of my first hunging rifles was a Jungle Carbine in .303 british. Kicked pretty good, but was deadly on Florida hogs and whitetail deer. Used iron sights. One of my favorites now, is my 1908 Mannlicher-Schoenauer rebarreled to 8MM Mauser. So far, it is a dream to shoot, accurate and very effective on the deer and hogs. I have mounted an old Redfield 2x7 5Star on this one. My preference is for the 8mm, but mostly that is due to the rifle I shoot that cartridge with. The .303 kills just as good.

Back