.303 De Lisle Replica - Nice 21st present

David_S

My son was given this De Lisle replica for his 21st birthday by one of his hunting mates. Great mate. Made by a local gunsmith using authentic SMLE parts. It differs a little from the original but sure looks mean. The scope is a practical (?) addition though the gunsmith does make them with open sights. The magazine uses the standard SMLE magazine with a cut out for the .45 magazine. On extraction fired cases drop into the SMLE mag.

My son has only had only one opportunity to try it. Reckons it was about the sound of a subsonic .22. The ammo he was using was reloaded by the donor and may have been bordering on supersonic. We will try some slower/quieter loads as I believe it was originally designed for subsonic loads. I am not sure what he will use it for - would make a good pig or bush gun. but would have been better to retain the original open sights for that. Would make a big hole in a rabbit!

Any suggestions on bullet (Hornady?) and powder (ADI/Hodgson) for reloading or should I repost in the reloading section?

David

DSCF5795Small.jpg

DSCF5796Small.jpg

DSCF5797Small.jpg

DSCF5799Small.jpg

DSCF5801Small.jpg

DSCF5800Small.jpg

Back