300WM or 338WM That is the Question

HunterAU

Inactive
Hi All I am an Aussie hunting everything Australia has to offer. Rabbits to Water Buffalo. My main prize is Sambar Deer. I hunt semi open bush where I can get in close on some (50Meters in thick scrub) and see others feeding at 400 to 500 meters. I am currently shooting a 338wm and would like to know if moving to a 300wm will add any benefits to the longer shots? I am currently shooting 225g Hornandy SST at 2750fps. any advise will help.

If you compare similar 30 caliber to 33 caliber rounds the 30's do almost everything better. At least until you get into bullets 250 gr or heavier. Even then the difference is small and only at close range.

A 200 gr Hornady ELD-X can be fired from a 300 WM at 2900 fps. At the muzzle your 338 load will have about 40 ft lbs more energy. But at 500 yards the 200 gr bullet fired from the 300WM will drop 10" less and have almost 300 ft lbs more energy. The 300 will have significantly less recoil, about 29 ft lbs vs 33 ft lbs if both are fired from 8 lb rifles.

The 30 caliber bullet will penetrate deeper as well on larger game. The .03" greater bullet diameter of the 338 is irrelevant. I've seen test results from multiple sources showing heavy for caliber (200-220 gr) 30-06 and 300 WM bullets out performing everything short of 375 H&H on larger game in both Alaska and Africa.

Firing 200s, you'll start at the same velocity. But the higher BC 30s will do a bit better at extreme range. The issue is heavy bullets. You can't (well you probably could, but not practically) shoot 250s out of a 30 bore. You can't shoot 275s out of a 30 bore. I've run 220s out of a pretty tight 30-06. They go 2,400, not bad at all. Not sure what the 300 WM would do with those, but it's unlikely they'll go 2,800 like a standard commercial 338/225 gr load will. My .338 sends Swift A-frame 275s at 2,400 and high BC SGK 250s go downrange at over 2,700. Buffalo? Stick with your .338. Want to start shooting game at 600+ yd? Go with the .300.

Road_Clam said:
$2 a round or $6 a round that is the question....

.338 Winchester Magnum isn't that more expensive vs. .300 Winchester Magnum, in fact they are almost the same price for the same brand and type of ammunition. As far as the OP's question I don't think he'll benefit from the .300 WM except that he'll reduce recoil and maybe shoot the rifle better. As far a performance on game they'll both do the same thing very well.

As far as the .300 out performing the .338, I don't see it at the distances the OP is hunting. At 500 meters the 225 grain .338 drops less, has less adjustment for wind, and hits harder than the 180 grain load I linked. Even if you drop the speeds to the more traditional 2900-3000 fps for the .300 and the 2800 fps for the .338 the same still holds true. I'd probably pick a tougher bullet than the SST for game bigger than the average white tail or mule deer.

Both winchester magnum cartridges. I don't see all that much difference in either's terminal performance myself. Both cartridges parent brass is the 375 H&H. Both cartridges have reputations too slam big game to a hard~ surface.

The only disappointment a forgetful hunter might encounter away from home with a 338 cased in his trunk. The availability of 338 ammo selection/s. (Not a box of cartridge's one might find in-stock at Ole and Lena's mini-mall & gas station located out in the middle of no-where's.)

Other than the (above.) Even though its said "bigger is better." on this occasion in comparison of the two. 300 Mag in the lower 48 only because of its ample bullet weight selection and availability.

You all have been a great help. I have added a Swarovski Z6i BT 3-18x50 to my current rifle. This is a real game changer. No need to know holdover just range click aim and fire. This scope might encourage me to shoot at greater distances. Does the 338 loose that much more energy out past 500meters to warrant the change? I would say 60% of my shooting would be up too 200Meters 35% from 200 - 500 and 5% beyond.

Dump the SSTs and load 250 Sierra Gamekings or Nosler Accubonds over a stout measure of Vihtavouri N560. You won't be lacking in energy. Check their website for loads.

Thanks guys you have been a great help. I will stick with the 338WM and change my projectiles. With the new scope I have shot a 10" plate at 600 meters. I just hope the 250gr Accubond projectiles will kill a Sambar at that range.

To my way of thinking you can't really weigh the cost of 300 v.338 ammo as a factor in this case. He already has a 338; if he buys a 300 it will take quite awhile for ammo savings to cover the cost of a rifle.

Stick with the 338, its very versatile when fed the right ammo.

I see you decided to stick with your .338 which is a fine cartridge for sure. When shopping for my heavy rifle, I considered a 338 WM but since I shoot a 308 WIN as well, I decided to go with the 300 WSM for it's much greater selection of 30 caliber bullets vs 338.

But if I already had a 338, I would just use it unless at least 50% of my hunting was at longer ranges then the 30 would be better.

Can't go wrong with either one.

:D

To my way of thinking you can't really weigh the cost of 300 v.338 ammo as a factor in this case. He already has a 338; if he buys a 300 it will take quite awhile for ammo savings to cover the cost of a rifle.

Stick with the 338, its very versatile when fed the right ammo.

Datz rite. Another possible is the 185 Hornady GMX at 3000.........

Back