300 WM Core Lokt Ultra- Too much??

brmfan

I have a buddy from out of state coming next week to go whitetail hunting (southeast region) and he's going to use my .308 so I'm left with my Remington XCR 300 WM. Until now I've only used it for long range target shooting and I'm concerned the 180 Core Lokt Ultra (only WM hunting ammo I have on hand) will make too much of a mess out of a 150-200 lb deer.

Anyone else use this round for whitetails and if so is there a better round you'd recommend??

It's more than I use in my .30-06, but I use 250gr SST sabots out of my slug gun with little wasted meat with well placed shots.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

The only deer I have seen taken with a 300 mag was a blacktail. Bullet goes in .308 comes out fist sized hole.

I would use 150 or 165 gr bullets but if 180 is what you have it set up for, it will work. Aim to miss the shoulder bones. A hit in the ribs takes the wind out of their sails and waists very little meat.

A hit in the shoulder will send bone fragments everywhere. And a large portion of the off side shoulder will be worthless.

That bullet weight (180) in your Mag will do as much damage to a deer as would your 308 with the same bullet weight. Just taking good aim is all that counts. Deer won't know the difference. When meat loss/damage is found. It's because your bullet has hit major heavy bone mass/structure i.e. shoulder or leg joints as in a poorly made rib shot. If you want absolutely no meat loss. Consider a head shot.

My buddy took a doe using a .375 H&H. It left a half dollar sized exit wound but it didn't waste a lot of meat. As a plus, he pulled his shot a bit and still dropped the doe where she stood.

You are fine with that set up.

That WM is pushing that bullet a lot faster. As others said, center-punch the lungs, and no worries. I have friends who hunt with the .22-250, which will leave a "hickey from hell" if they hit shoulder bones. Center-punch the lungs.

Your bullets are fine. Ive shot many deer with a 300 wm and winchester 150grn power points. I usually aim for neck inside of 100 yards. Makes a big mess of the neck but they don't go anywhere. If you hit behind the shoulder, leaves about a baseball sized exit wound. However, those are 150 grain pp, which to my knowledge are not "bonded". With the rem core lockt 180 "bonded" I would think you'd have way less of a mess. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If those rounds are accurate, go hunting! Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback fellas! I now feel more at ease using the 180's. Who knows... I may end up retiring the .308 if all goes well! :) I'll post pics if I bag one.

I've hunted with 300WM for 40 years. Just don't hit them in the sholders. Put it through the boiler room and it will go down without a large loss of meat. Not much meat on the ribs anyway. Of course if you are looking to salvage the liver or heart, you can usually forget it. Hydraulic shock seems to mess up the innards a bunch.

I've hunted 20+ years in Wisconsin for whitetail with my .300 WM but use 150 gr bullets. I suspect the 180's will cause less meat damage the the 150's that tend to go through them but make a mess doing it. I shot a big doe this year behind the shoulder. Bullet took out the lungs (left the heart) and went up and out the neck on the other side just below the chin. Another deer I shot I had to take an angled shot where it took out the lungs and then went through the guts. The bullet exited after "catching" the intestines taking most of them out the hole on the other side. Most kills are no meat damaged.

I have killed a lot of deer with a 300 WBY and I never noticed that it ruined any more meat than any of the other usual suspects that people shoot deer with. If you shoot them where you are supposed to it won't ruin anything that you were likely going to eat.

Ditto what has already been said, put that 180 gr. behind the shoulder though the lungs and make sure your knife is sharp and camera ready.

Back