300 win mag in a Mauser action.

Polinese

I've got a interarms Mark X receiver that was originally chambered for 30-06. I'd originally intended to build it into a heavy barreled 308. I've got several of those now and am thinking I'd like to do something else with it.

I've wanted a 300 WM for a long while and am wondering if this will fit in the action? I know the bolt face would need to be opened up.

Wanted to try and have an AICS bottom metal fitted to it as well.

300 Win Mag is right at the limits of what you can do with a Mauser, mag boxes may not be long enough. Older Mausers were carburized and would experience lug peening pretty quickly, but Mark X Mausers were made out of good steel and didn't have that issue. So check the mag for length first.

Just FYI, 308 doesn't do so good in Mausers because the body taper is wrong for the magazine, you need to add a spacer at the rear of the mag to ensure proper feeding.

Just FYI, 308 doesn't do so good in Mausers..

FYI, "doesn't do so good" is not "doesn't work", and there is no "need" to add a spacer at the rear of the magazine. It may work better with the magazine blocked that way, but it WILL work without it.

I had one. converted model 98, rebarreled to .308 Win by local smith in the early 70s. Fajen stock, drilled and tapped for scope, bolt bent just a bit. No spacer in the magazine box. Worked just fine for me.

I saw PTG makes some bottom metal that should fit, sized for the magnum aics magazines. Would make me think it should work fine.

I figured if i switched it to the aics mags it would likely negate the need for the feed rails to be reworked, unless the mag itself needs extra room. The rails on my model 70 seemed to become irrelevant after changing to a DBM

300 Win Mag is right at the limits of what you can do with a Mauser

There's been plenty of them chambered for .458 WM.

I have a .458 Win Mag built on a 1909 Argentine 98 Mauser action. It is a bit finicky feeding flat nose....;)

I think the "right at the limits" remark was referring to the length of the round.

Both the .300 Win and the .458 Win have the same max loaded length as the .30-06, at 3.340" So are the .264 and .338 Win mag. The 7mm Rem Mag is a bit shorter at 3.290" max loaded length.

This is about the max length you can get into an unaltered 98 Mauser magazine box. .300 Weatherby and .300 H&H are longer at over 3.5" and too long for the standard 98 action.

When Winchester created their line of "short" (meaning shorter than H&H cases) magnums they did something smart, setting the loaded length so they would work through any action length that would handle a .30-06.

This worked quite well for the .264, .300, and .338 but turned out to be a handicap to getting claimed performance in the .458. Never understood why they didn't make the .458 a little longer so it could actually deliver the original velocity claimed. This is basically what the .458 Lott is, and does.

A longer .458 round would need a longer action, but Winchester already HAD that, in the Model 70 chambered for .375H&H, but they chose to go with the shorter round to fit "standard" length actions. No idea why, Perhaps some bean counter decided they would sell more of them that way, I don't know.

The "06 length' .458 Win Mag is a potent and powerful round as it is, and has handily taken all the big African game (and everything smaller) it just can't quite make the velocity Winchester claimed for it when they introduced it.

There's no animal with four legs that can tell the difference, only ones with two legs can do that, and some were disappointed by what turned out to be over inflated claims from Winchester, back then. I'm quite happy with mine but then, I don't run it with 500gr elephant loads.

Back