.300 Win Mag for Hogs?

Model12Win

Hello all! I am thinking about a hog rifle since I've decided not to use my Mosin Nagant for hog hunting purposes. I do not want to damage them, as they are historic rifles to me and part of a growing collection of mine.

So I've been looking at the options, and am thinking about a Ruger Guide Gun in .300 Win Mag:

47116.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/guideGun/specSheets/47116.html

Doesn't that look cool? I love the camouflage laminated wood pattern, and with the stainless steel and muzzle brake it just looks so bad to the bone!

I am going on a pig hunt at the end of the month in Oklahoma, it will be stalking through the brush. Will a .300 Win Mag be enough power to keep the pig down? What kind of load should I use on the pig, and what type scope would be best for stalking in Oklahoma brush?

Any input would be appreciated guys! Thanks!

I have a friend who kills hogs with a 223, a 300 Win Mag might knock out the pig, and the shooter!. The muzzle blast from that thing will light up the night!

That rifle looks bad, and it probably is bad-ass. If you want it, go for it.

I hunt hogs with remington model 700 in .300 I also have a friend who has hunted them with t/c encore in .300 It is honestly to much gun for hogs it doesn't ruin any meat with the proper shot placement but it is so unnecessary the only reason why I choose to hunt with the caliber because it is the only centerfire rifle I have and refuse to trade it but when I get something different I assure you the gun will go in the safe and won't be hunted with unless I decideto elk or bear hunt or anything larger then that.

Ohhhhh yeahhhh, that will be more than enough for pigs. It will work fine and anchor em good but you can also get a smaller caliber that will be easier on your wallet, shoulder, and follow up shots that will kill em just as dead unless you are taking very very very long shots, 600 yards or better. But it is a real cool gun that looks like a lot of fun and the style and build of the rifle would be perfect for hogs.

Plenty!

I have a 300 Win Mag, Browning BAR, and I have never fired it. But I shot a Winchester Sig-Sauer in the same caliber many times and it was all I could handle. If I go hog hunting again, it will be with a Smith 29 or something on that level.

I want to knock them hogs out guys, send up right to hell where they belong.

It will be a day hunt with stalking. No mercy on these pigs.

It's a great rifle I just don't like the brake on it. But a 8 lb rifle with a break tames the recoil down to a decent level. The muzzle blast is a bit much for my liking if you ever plan on shooting it alot. 150 grainers if you are recoil sensitive but the 180's are awesome just a Lil more kick. Get it and have a great hunt.

Too much velocity.

Heavy bullet at 2000 FPS is all you need.

High Velocity up close = Devastating loss of meat.

Thats MORE than enough. Not quite to .50BMG overkill but not far off lol. I've killed hogs from .22lr's up to .308win. With a few pistol calibers in between. If you already own a deer rifle, use it. For me, 6mm/.243 and up is more than capable. I killed my biggest hog ever using a .243, he weighed just under 400lbs.

,,,,,,300 Win Mag,,,"to much gun for hogs". No such thing if you ask me.

I would go with a semi auto like a big BAR or a 45/70 lever. Im not a big fan of a bolt bun when it comes to stalking.

Don't forget a .458 SOCOM too.....

Way overkill but if you can shoot it well, it will do the job while sacrificing meat. problem is, a lot of guys may not shoot them well after firing that first shot. Not sure how using a Mosin will damage it, but I think you'd be further ahead uisng one. If your intent on getting a new rifle, I'd go with a more practical caliber like 30-06 or .308 which would be suitable for any other hunt you might do in North America.

A guy was shooting one with huge muzzle blast next to me yesterday. It was a BAR. He said he hunted deer with it in south Texas. I imagine that BAR was a lot nicer to shoot than a bolt action recoil wise.

Wow

And I was debating taking my 300 WM elk hunting thinking it would be overkill on elk.

Yeah the 300 will kill an elk, so will an A-10 wart hog, but WHY.

You can probably find the same rifle in '06 or 308 and they will do the jot just as well without the bullet traveling forever after it exits.

But if its just an excuse to buy a "cool" rifle, that's different. By all means.

I do not get into what does and does not look cool. I do know that if you cut loose into a sounder of them with a .300 Win mag, you are going to take about as bad a beating as they take. ;)

I am a big fan of using enough gun, but a 300 WM on pigs is more than enough gun. But if you can stand the recoil, can shoot it well and it makes you happy, go for it.

If you touch off a 300 WM with that muzzle brake without hearing protection you will regret it as long as your ears keep ringing, which could be forever. That goes for you and anyone within earshot, which would include most of the county. Muzzle braked magnums are LOUD.

All in all you'd be better off with a 30-06 and no brake.

Back