300 Savage

If the rotary magazine hasn't already been disassembled, and it works, don't take it apart.

While its not really impossible to get it back together, its not a simple or easy job, and if not absolutely needed, best not done.

The rotary is a no-no bad news, don't ask me how I know but that's how I got to be friends with my gunsmith !!!!

Its mag spring requires a very small split blade {flat} screwdriver to remove the lock nut on the rewind. Can make that nut remover if having a Dremel tool and patience.
BTW: Over~winding that spring being as old as it is your'e chancing its breaking.

What I use for my Sav mag spring/s is a tool auto mechanic's had for installing distributor points in a L head Plymouth or Dodge years ago.

The rotary is a no-no bad news
Not difficult at all. I do it all the time. Just another one of those myths people who don't know like to spread.

I will say that if you are having difficulty reassembling a 99, you should consider taking it to a smith. They really are very simple. Try Youtube.

Savage 99 is simple gun to break down. Mag can be a PIA the Ist time you take
it apart but not bad after you figure it out.

Removing a rotary spool spring for me usually turn's out to be a long trial & error effort to reset properly. {being a perfectionist} No where's have I ever read just how many factory turns a spool requires so to reset properly.

Back