300 savage in model 99

olduser

My gun really likes the Remington load with 150 gr Pointed SP Core Lokt. I would like to obtain some for reloading but they seem to be not available. Anybody have a bullet recommendation that closely mimics the Remington bullet?

I would think that the Hornady 150 grain, .308 dia Interlocks (flat base with cannelure) would come pretty close.

I'm in the same boat - can't find any CoreLokt. So I load (for a Savage 99 and a Savage 40) first choice Speer #2023, alternates Sierra ProHunter and Hornady Interlock FB. Actually, I'm happy with any of those. By the way, I've started running Reloder 15.5.

Speer hot core looks good from what I see online these days. You want a non boat tail bullet for the short neck of the 300 savage.
I’m using up a box of old box of Speer round nose 150g right now. I’m liking Varget powder currently in my 300 savage loads.

There are a lot of 150gr bullets out there what will perform in game as well as the Core-Lokt, some not quite as well, and some better.

How well your rifle will shoot them (group size) is a different matter, and one that can only be determined by shooting them in your rifle with your loads.

You can also use bullets intended for 30-30 Winchester.

Yes, you can use them. What kind of results you get is another matter. Best to check with the bullet makers about their designed upper end velocity for controlled expansion, before you buy any.

.300 Savage PROBABLY won't be pushing them too fast, but it is a couple hundred FPS faster than the .30-30 so it might be at the upper edge of their design window. Check with the maker about that.

Most 30-30 bullets will be flat nosed and that definitely has a ballistics disadvantage compared to shooting a spitzer type bullet in the 300 savage.

Back