.300 H&H conversion on Mauser 98k action?

orsogato

Looking at a rifle in LGS that is a Mauser 98k action converted to .300 H&H magnum. My guess is whoever did this conversion had to remove material from the front lug, possibly the feed ramp etc. to make room for the longer overall cartridge length of the old H&H cartridge. It has a one piece old Redfield scope base and rings.

Asking price is $450 (I'm sure probably negotiable).

Anybody have any experience with converting a standard length Mauser 98k action to .300 H&H, or is this a terribly bad idea and I'm asking for a rifle to blow up in my face if I buy this?!?

The action is a World War 2 production era. It has the Waffenampts visible, although the scope base is covering up the manufacturer's letter code. My guess is the whole setup was probably done in the 1950s when the .300 H&H was the only next step up in .30 cal horsepower from the .30-06' (but that's just a wild ass guess).

Last edited:
Tat was acommon conversion back in the day. Holland and Holland did it for the .300 and .375 H&H guns, Weatherby used FN Mauser actions at first for the .300 Weatherby and .375 Weatherby. Check out a Mark X Mauser in .375 H&H, just a standard Mauser opened up to take the longe cartridge. About the only thing I would check is run your finger over the top of the feed ramp for roughness. I had a Mark X in .375 and the top of the feed ramp literally had teeth like the shark in Jaws. They cut some deep gouges in my brass that are not only unsightly but question the integrity of the cartridge case sidewalls, IMHO. :mad:
Paul B.

Holland and Holland did it for the .300 and .375 H&H guns
H&H used square bridge magnum length actions.

I am not a fan of magnum cartridge conversions to K98 actions because of the soft steel they were made of. After any action work like this you have to re-carburize the action because you end up taking so much of the action away to get the rifle to feed.

Scorch - that was my hesitation. Too much material being removed.

T. - It may be a pain in the ass, but I was thinking if worse comes to worse brass can be formed from .375 H&H cases. By the way, those rifles are beautiful on that link you provided!

Last edited:
Back