$300 for one of these choices... Help me decide..

makarov

I've been browsing the gunshops again, so maybe I need a new gun. Used to have a Ruger Security-Six that I gave to my Brother-In Law. Would like to get another .357 - Here are two that caught my attention

Ruger Stainless Blackhawk - Barrel looks about 7 inches long. Good shape a few scratches $280

Early Dan Wesson with 6" 4" and 2" barrels and several grips. Guy said it was early enought that he didn't think the later DW barrels would interchange. Did they have two different systems?
Decent shape, a few scratches - no rust good bore. Pretty tight lockup. $279

Your vote? Hold out for another gun? Buy used Wingmaster for $200? Oh wait that's another forum...

I never heard anything about what that dealer said about the new Dan Wesson, it seems to be a mere assumption on his part.

I would contact the Dan Wesson factory for accurrate information.

That Ruger looks to be overpriced, I would opt for the Dan Wesson because it already comes with the extra barrels and grips.

Is $279 a good price? I know it is tough based on my description. The gun is probably %85 I guess. No rust, no major wear spots on the blue, but some scratches and small dings. Bore good. This is the Dan Wesson I'm talking about. There are lots of Blackhawks around but this is the first Dan Wesson I've seen in a long time around here.

That Ruger, or one like it, will be available when you can next afford to buy a gun. My advise is to buy the Dan Wesson before it gets away.

Over here in Seattle, it would be about $300 for just the gun, the extra barrels and grips would each be sold separately for more $$$.

Both Good Gun's-But

I would have to opt for the Dan Wesson; as it seems like
a good value, with lots of extra's.:cool: :) :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Well since you asked get the Ruger. I liked mine but not enough to keep it. Wish I still had it. Not the daintiest .357 out there but they sure are tough.

Definitely must come down in favor of the

Dan Wesson.:) That's a heckuva good value with the spares. Even if you have to put a little money into some repairs or a re-finish, you'll still make out on that one. :cool: Sorry, I can't speak to the BH at all, except Salt is probably right in stating they are more readily available.

Not long ago I saw a Ruger Security Six, new in the box for $295.00.(www.gunsamerica.com ) It was blued. These are real work horses. And a good value for the buck. Shop around. There are a lot of good deals out there if you're patient. Good luck on your quest!

Dan Wesson would be my choice.
As for parts, if it's a Model 15 no issues. Current production parts will work just fine. If it's a Model 12 your out of luck on barrels and shrouds except for gun shows, etc. Some of the Model 12 internal parts will interchange with the Model 15.
The easiest way to identify a Model 12 is the external 12 lobe wrench connection attaching the barrel and shroud assembly to the frame. The Model 15 has the slotted nut recessed in the barrel shroud requiring the Dan Wesson special wrench to tighten or loosen the barrel.
Even if it's a Model 12 I would still grab it, those revolvers are well built and should provide plenty of service.
Take Care

Back