300 BLK out question

625TC

I have read so much on the subject of why you can or can not use 300 BLK out in a 300 Whisper barrel. Does any one here have any experience or good advice on the matter ?

There is also the matter of the .300 Whisper designed to have cases formed from .221 fireball, with the original .22 cal neck opened up to .30, whereas the Blackout was designed so cases could be formed from .223 Rem, by cutting them off at the shoulder and necking the result down to .30. Forming .300 Whisper from .223 usually requires turning the necks, the Blackout was designed to avoid this additional step. This has the effect of the Blackout potentially having thicker case necks (.334 maximum diameter per SAAMI) and some Whisper chambers may have neck dimensions too small for the thicker Blackout necks to release a bullet without excess pressures.

This doesn't mean anything but I have a .300 Whisper made by SSK as well as a .300 Blackout made by Ruger. And I interchange the cases at will.

I have never formed a case from .221 Fireball; every case I ever fired in my Whisper was formed from a .223 case or was a factory .300 BO case.

thanks for that. I have formed them from both 221 and 223 but have avoided the 5.56 cases. This was for the Whisper. Just a curiosity I wonder what the result would be if a Blackout reamer was run through a Whisper chamber ?

Gee, I haven't noticed any diff. I've shot factory loads of both labels in a couple of 300 something or other uppers w/o noticeable issues.

Back