.300 BLK 220gr Flat Base Bullet

What's the point of that? Is case capacity an issue in subsonic .300?

If you want to appreciate the ballistic edge of a boat tail, start plinking at targets 250yds away and get your Remington 220gr flatbase mixed up with your Sierra 220gr SMKs. ;)

"What's the point of that? Is case capacity an issue in subsonic .300? "

Yes it is. ALL the loads I use for the 300 are heavily compressed. Actually no real advantage to using boat tail bullets since AAC isn't capable of velocities or ranges at which the BT would help.

Considering the rainbow arc after about 120yds, I'm not really sure why you would want to shoot .300blk subs at 250...other than giggles...

"It is about 2 mils difference in elevation between the BTHP and the FB at 250yds, so I wouldn't say the boattail does nothing."
No, I don't consider "2 mils" to be a significant difference.

"Considering the rainbow arc after about 120yds, I'm not really sure why you would want to shoot .300blk subs at 250...other than giggles..."
Agree 100% unless you're in the business of certain types of quiet "pest" removal.

Rainbow arc? It's a mere 70" drop from a 50yd zero for the SMK, and about 80" from the 220gr FB. ;)

If you aren't going to shoot past 200yds, you might as well save yourself money and shoot 9mm subs. Or pretty much anything subsonic since they all have about the same trajectory out to 200yds.

The thrill of doping wind and precise range estimation without having to find a 600yd range.

Mine is zeroed at 14yds, so it starts to go well outside my 2moa red dot at about 115. Inside 100, it's decently flat.

Back