300 Blackout ballistic test

Hunter0924

Ever since I reviewed the Barnes Precision in 300 BLK I have been curious about this cartridge.
I was able to secure several types of factory rounds and a few reloads. I used the same rifle for the review and also included a Handy Rifle in 300 BLK for a few comparisons.
We set out and got the numbers.
I would like your thoughts.

http://rangehot.com/300-blackout-ballistic-test/

I read it a couple of times...but nowhere did I see the range (distance) to the targets (gel) mentioned. Handgun rounds (FBI) are ten feet- what did you use as your parameter?

Did I miss it somewhere?

What was the twist rate of that rifle?

I have seen the same thing with my heavy subsonic suppressed 45-70s. While the twist rate is plenty for holding it stable in the air once it hits gel the bullets tend to exit and weird angles.

I have a Rem 700 psp in .300 aac 16 1/2 " 1 in 7 twist . I like the 150gr match kings . Havn't done any Gel test but it blows up gallon jugs of water good . I got mine to fill the gap between My Mini 14 and My Rem 700 Tactical .300 Win Mag .

well at least its entertaining target shooting with jugs.

i would hypothesized a more destructive impact on soft point bullets on that type of target

A 1 in 7 would give a bit more stability to the heavier, longer bullets but I cannot say for sure if that would of made a lot of difference on the terminal ballistics.
I have spoke to Barnes Precision about different twist uppers for experimentation.

stability would be better , but i would state ballistics distance would be minimally changed

sounds right

i wonder if a break stabilizer could further help stabilize the shots for the shooter

i dont think that it would,but maybe in a small way

using a break is to redirect gas that is released from the barrel to stabilize the guns positions. id have to say one that directs up, left, right, would be best to reduce rise and sway.

gas from the ar15 is bled to the gasblock and the gas tube, to the bcg. the remaining gas is shot out the barrel and would redirect excess gas only.

i could draw up a Force diagram to explain, if needed

Back