30" Uberti 1873's ?

Andy Griffith

I'm thinking that I want a 30" .44-40 Uberti for blackpowder.
I got to shoot a real Winchester in 30" two weekends ago, and I really liked it, even though we shot low-powered "cowboy" loads in it.

Does anyone else have one? Any experience on BP loads for it in this barrel length?

I've been casting "big lube" bullets for my 24" barrel guns, and even after 100 rounds, the crud ring on the end of the barrel can still be wiped off with a gentle wipe of the finger. (could be the coconut oil additive too :p ).

Howdy

All my 44-40 rifles have 24" barrels, except my Saddle Ring Carbine '92. I have often been leery of a 30" barrel for just the reason you state. With 24" barrels and Big Lube bullets I always have a nice lube star at the muzzle. Just don't know if the Big Lube bullets will carry enough lube for the extra six inches. Probably, but don't know for sure.

I have a Uberti '73 in 44-40 with a 30" barrel. I love it. I have not tried Big Lube bullets in it yet (though I have in my revolvers) but it leaves a bit of fouling in the last few inches shooting black powder rounds (Swiss powder). Doesn't bother me though, as I have been cleaning black powder firearms for over 45 years.

2ik8ae0.jpg

Howdy Again

The issue is not ease of cleaning, it is the loss of accuracy. With bullets that don't carry enough Black Powder compatible lube, they start to run dry of lube near the muzzle. The resultant build up of hard fouling can then deteriorate accuracy.

The solution can be very simple. Before I started using Big Lube bullets, my BP pan lubed, regular hardcast bullets did not carry enough lube for my 24" barrels, accuracy would begin to drop off after 2 or three 10 shot strings at CAS matches. The solution was simple, swabbing the barrel with a couple of patches soaked with my favorite water based BP solvent to wipe away the hard fouling and return the accuracy to the rifle. Once I switched to Big Lube bullets I did not have to do any mid-match swabbing, the rifles kept shooting accurately all day long.

I strongly suspect Big Lube bullets coupled with a 30" barrel will be no problem, accuracywise. I just have no hard evidence of it.

I will ask around.

Morning Driftwood,

I have been reading your comments on several black powder forums over the last decade or so, including the Frontier Spot and, as usual, you are correct. Accuracy dropped off after about 30 rounds.

I have 44-40 dies but haven't tried reloading that particular round yet. I'll have to get my hands on some Big Lube bullets and see what happens.

I have a Marlin 1864 FG that had to be swabbed after each stage. Fouling build up was so bad that I could not guarantee an aimed shot at a 16" target at 20 yards after 10 shots.

I had to give up on it and went to a 44-40 with the MavDutchman Big Lube. Now I'll shoot 12 stages with no concern for build up.

I have a new rifle in 32-20 that forms a lube star after the first shot. I expect big things from it.

Howdy Again

So far two shooters have responded to my question on the SASS Wire. They say they get good results with the Big Lube bullets out of 30" Uberti '73 barrels, enough lube and no swabbing between stages necessary. One commented that the Big Lube bullets are the only ones he has found that have enough lube to keep the rifling from getting fouled near the muzzle.

Back